6-channel streaming format

Now that the 6-channel firmware is available (as told by support), when will the streaming format be documented?
Only the 4-channel format and 4-channel presets are documented.

(Somewhere— there used to be a description of them… perhaps in a really old SDK document)

In-Ear EEG with the Muse

Hi,

I didn’t know about the 6 channel firmware avalability, where and when have you heard about it ?
Is it possible to upgrade also from Android app ? or only for IOS yet ?

I have saved in PDF all the “very first” documentation released more than a year ago. It’s descibred bellow, but we know that not all options are available now:

[B]From the DOCs (saved on May - 05 - 2014):

Available Data Modes (Presets)[/B]

Muse can be configured in different ways by specifying “–preset <PRESET>” as an option on the command line. The following presets are available:

(Firmware 6.6.0 and up)

[B]Consumer firmware presets:[/B]

“10” - 4CH: 4 channels/10bit resolution/220Hz, compression on, filtering on(60Hz notch)

“12” - 4CH+ACC+BATT: 4 channels/10bit resolution/220Hz, compression on, filtering on(60Hz notch), accelerometer data on @ 50Hz, battery/temp data on @ 0.1 Hz (every 10 seconds)

“13” - 4CH(ear clips)+ACC+BATT: 4 channels(2 forehead+2 ear clips)/10bit resolution/220Hz, compression on, filtering on(60Hz notch), accelerometer data on @ 50Hz, battery/temp data on @ 0.1 Hz (every 10 seconds)

“14” - 4CH+ACC+BATT+DRLREF+ERROR: 4 channels EEG/10bit resolution/220Hz, compression on, filtering on(60Hz notch), DRLREF/10bits/10Hz, accelerometer data on @ 50Hz, battery/temp data on @ 0.1 Hz (every 10 seconds), real-time error data

“15” - 4CH(ear clips)+ACC+BATT+DRLREF+ERROR: 4 channels(2 forehead+2 ear clips), DRLREF at 10Hz, 10bit resolution, 220Hz, compression on, filtering on(60Hz notch), accelerometer data on @ 50Hz, battery/temp data on @ 0.1 Hz (every 10 seconds), real-time error data

[B]Research firmware presets, all of the above plus:[/B]

“AB” - 6CH Research mode: 6 channels/16 bit resolution/500Hz, compression off, filtering off, accelerometer data on @ 50Hz, battery/temp data on @ 0.1 Hz (every 10 seconds)

“AC” - 6CH Research mode: 6 channels+DRLREF/16 bit resolution/500Hz, compression off, filtering off, accelerometer data on @ 50Hz, battery/temp data on @ 0.1 Hz (every 10 seconds), real-time error data

“AD” - 4CH Research mode: 4 channels, 16 bit resolution, 500Hz, compression off, filtering off, accelerometer data on @ 50Hz, battery/temp data on @ 0.1 Hz (every 10 seconds)

“AE” - 4CH+DRLREF: 4 channels+DRLREF/16 bit resolution/500Hz, compression off, filtering off, accelerometer data on @ 50Hz, battery/temp data on @ 0.1 Hz (every 10 seconds), real-time error data

Hi hlightstone,

An update to the firmware has just been made available through the iOS version of the Muse app. This will bring your Muse firmware up to version 7.8.0. The Android app provides firmware up to 7.6.2 for now. So as of this time, iOS provides the latest.

The main difference in 7.8.0 is the support for the extra “research” presets for which Eduardo has shared the descriptions. These descriptions are accurate. This means things like sampling rate, resolution, and the number/arrangement of channels can be changed.

Please note that LibMuse does not support all of these presets yet, but MuseIO does. LibMuse support for all presets is in the works.

We’ll be making an official announcement very soon and the docs will be updated. Please stay posted for that in the next day or two.

As always, Eduardo is quick on the uptake :slight_smile:

Quick update - we sent out the announcement this morning.

Here is the relevant forum post: http://forum.choosemuse.com/forum/developer-forum/7869-research-feature-support-added-to-muse-firmware-7-8-0-on-ios

Is there documentation yet on the 6 channel EEG format?

Hey hlightstone,

6 channel presets are not officially documented because we don’t currently support or provide the hardware (electrode cables) for them. You need additional cables to plug into the micro-USB ports.

However, the info that Eduardo posted is accurate, as I said.

I just happen to have a pair of (pre-release) external electrodes from Interaxon last week. They even managed to cross the Canadian border posthaste.
Unlike (wise) Eduardo, I didn’t save the original documentation which did have the 6-channel data format in it.
I am working on using all 6 channels (or at least the ear/external combinations) for neurofeedback.