Alert! Bird Chirp App Is Possibly Misleading You

If you are the many that I’ve been reading on this forum that experiments with your meditation techniques (one eye open, two eyes open, laying down, breathing, not breathing, zen, yoga, blah, blah, blah), don’t use the Muse bird chirp app as a guide. It is NOT A RELIABLE feedback tool because it uses a relative baseline during the calibration stage.

More here:

I hope this helps people. Muse has been causing needless confusion and a huge waste of time.

I’m going to try their Muse monitor as one last ditch effort to be able to determine if I’m truly in a meditative state so I can do meditate consistently with whatever chosen technique.

Good luck to everyone.

1 Like

First, Muse Monitor is not an official aspect of the Muse stable. It is a terrific addition to add from Google Play, but not from the Muse company.

As for your stated problems, it seems that you have an unclear concept of how to use the Muse and the expectations of being calm in the calibration aspect and how that affects the sound of the birds.

Hi Harvis,

First, how does your point of “Muse Monitor not being an official aspect of the Muse stable” contribute to the post? This discussion is about the bird chirp app which is actually part of the Muse stable (at least their trade mark at the opening splash screen makes it appear to be). Can you elaborate on your “first” point so that it has even some relevancy?

Your second point is completely unsupported. If you want to claim I have an unclear concept of how to use the Muse, then please enlighten the rest of us with your profound wisdom. If I’m mistaken or misinformed, I’d love to know so I can actually benefit from the Muse.

However, your reply needs to be actually knowledgeable (details please!), instead of just sounding like someone who thinks he knows: Dunning-Krueger effect (reference your first post) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect.

Thank you!

An important point is to be consistent during your calibration. If you keep changing what you do from calibration to calibration, you will have different results during the meditation phase itself. This is to be expected.

If you are too active during calibration, your meditation will be too easy. Basically, you will hear more birds than you should. Don’t keep one or both eyes open during calibration, because this will block alpha waves and produce a too active calibration. So any activity that requires eyes open - such as reading - would not be good for calibration.

If you are too calm during calibration, your meditation will be too difficult. You will hear less birds than you should. Don’t fall into meditation during calibration. Don’t relax too much.

Ideally, you should be in a neutral state while you calibrate. Not too active, not too calm. This would mean a mix of beta and alpha waves. So keep both eyes closed. This will ensure that alpha waves are not blocked. But don’t relax too much. Keep your mind active. Try different things. What I do is count silently from one to ten, and then back from ten to one, in several languages. This keeps my mind busy and active, generating beta waves. It is easy enough to look up on the internet what the numbers one to ten are in different languages. Try this technique, or think up something similar.

Sometimes, though, a calibration technique can become so automatic that you begin to be calm during calibration. When this happens, just switch up with a different technique. Maybe you can think of other lists - the colors (ROYGBIV) for instance. I’ve also performed simple math in my head, like going through the multiplication tables.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Here’s another tip to improve your meditation session using Muse:

After calibration, immediately pause the Muse app. Spend a few minutes relaxing you body and mind. Breathe in, hold your breath for 20 seconds, then breathe out slowly. Do a body scan. Look for tense areas and try to relax them. Practice mindfulness. Begin meditating on your breath and relaxing further.

Now resume the Muse app and begin your meditation session. Focus on your breath. If you are still somewhat tense - and to prevent tension rising again - focus on relaxing as you breathe out.