App(s) that displays Left-Right Hemispheric Brain Synchronization

Hello,
are there (or will there be) any apps available for the MUSE that allows you to look at both left and right hemispheric brain activity independently AND also measure the degree of synchrony between both hemispheres? The reason I’m interested is because I’m interested in meditation and the EEG correlates of meditation. And one of the things that has been noted in observations and studies is that left and right hemispheres synch up during meditative practices.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blz6DjojlX0 (1m 11s into video)

In the above video, the top graph indicates left hemispheric activity, the middle graphic shows right brain activity, and the bottom graph shows the degree of synchrony between the two hemispheres. Is there anything like this coming on the stream for the MUSE?

We do not currently support an app with the capability that you mention. However, using the SDK, we believe that Muse can support the functionality you are asking. Note that we are doing research in the area of mindfulness practice. In our search of the literature, we have found that focussed attention exercises are the most widely studied and have the most evidence of efficacy.

You can also try our Calm APP which provides feedback from your EEG to help you manage stress using focussed attention exercises. Here is what we say about Calm in the Apple store:

[SIZE=12px]Calm leads you through a powerful exercise based on proven scientific techniques intended to reduce stress, increase focus, sharpen concentration and relieve anxiety.[/SIZE]

So the functionality that I’m asking about is within the range of capability of the Muse hardware and all that is required is to design/write the software to access it? Sweet :slight_smile:

[I][B]“Note that we are doing research in the area of mindfulness practice.”[/B][/I]

What sort of neuro-correlates would one expect to see via the Muse during mindfulness practice?

[I][B]“In our search of the literature, we have found that focused attention exercises are the most widely studied and have the most evidence of efficacy.”[/B][/I]

Interesting. So were there any studies that looked at how mindfulness and/or focused attention practices affected hemispheric EEG coherence?

Btw, how many current developers are there for the Muse, and do you know if anyone is working on anything involving hemispheric coherence or the independent measuring of both left and right hemispheric brain activity?

[B][I]“What sort of neuro-correlates would one expect to see via the Muse during mindfulness practice?[/I][/B]”

Did some further homework on the subject of mindfulness and other meditative practices, and it turns out that during mindfulness or [I]‘open monitoring’ [/I]practices, the brain is seen to be generating theta frequencies in the 6 to 8 hertz band, in the frontal region. That’s very useful intel when you want to use EEG/Muse to maximize proficiency in mindfulness meditation. (see [B]Dr Fred Travis on Meditation and Optimizing Mental Health[/B] @ esp. about 16mins 40secs into the presentation when he describes the three primary types of meditations and their brain activity correlates, and [B]Dr Tony Nader on Hacking Consciousness at Stanford University[/B])

Love the thread and the videos you posted. Trying to do the exact same thing. Have you managed to usefully calculate coherence from Muse?