Apps I would like

Bought it, Enigma - relatively expensive app, but hopefully you make enough money to keep improving it!
What is the best way to send you feedback/feature requests? In here or elsewhere?

Email feedback would be my preference: Enigma644+MuseMonitorIOS@gmail.com

I just bought Muse Monitor, too. Looks great so far, Enigma - thanks a million for the effort. And thanks to Interaxon for finally getting the administrative process sorted with Apple.

Looking forward to more great apps. Wish I could write my own, but it just seems too steep a learning curve.

Three things noted during my first session with Muse Monitor:

1. The battery level in Muse Monitor was reported as 9%, and went down to 8% after less than a minute. Seeing the battery was low, I closed the session and connected Muse to the charger. The physical battery indicator on Muse had 3 pins of 5 lit up. Those two values do not seem to jive? Any thoughts from anyone?

2. Despite adjusting the headband several times during the session, I never managed to get constant contact from the rubber ear electrodes, just temporary ‘blips’ with the ‘contour’ of the right ear electrode showing briefly, indicating that something was happening.
    This is similar to what happened in earlier versions of the Calm app when I first started using my Muse. Later on, this has not been the case. Does this mean that Calm is ignoring poor ear electrode contact, or that the electrode indicator using in Muse Monitor is too sensitive?

3. The concentration and mellow values: I tried to induce similar mind states as I do with my Mindwave for attention and meditation, but neither appeared to work well. The concentration value did blip a couple of times extremely briefly in response to doing visualized (as opposed to optimized, non visualized) multiplication of double digit numbers. But I never got the ‘mellow’ value to leave 0.

Any thoughts or suggestions based on your experience, fellow Musers and perhaps Enigma, especially? (I know that rather than an average value from the previous seconds, like the Mindwave appears to use, Muse uses some type of ‘binary’ detection with either 1 or 0, and I understand this causes different behaviour. However, do I need to achieve something like 100% concentration or relaxation in order for the value to register?

If it could possibly inspire you, you should know that Muse Monitor is my first iOS app! I don’t own a Mac and before I wrote this, I’d never coded in Apple’s Objective-C language!

It took me about 2 weeks to learn Objective-C and re-code Muse Monitor using the Java android version as a template. I’ll put a little asterisk next to this with the note that I do know pretty much all the other programming languages and I’ve been coding for 30 years. :wink:

#1 - Battery level. All the data in Muse Monitor is taken from the Interaxon API’s so it should be accurate. I would expect both the hardware and the software to report the same level. For a fair test, I would run the Muse for a good 10 minutes, then check the level without plugging in the charger. Hardware battery level indicators usually go voltage drop and the voltage curve on a rechargeable battery drops off really quickly at the end of it’s life. If you connect a charger and then read the level, it’s likely this little boost could add a bar or two.

#2 - I get the same thing. I recommend making sure all your hair is out of the way and then moistening the contact area. If you look at the RAW values in Muse Monitor, you can see that the indicator is working correctly. As soon as you loose contact the graph gets way more erratic.

#3 - Bare in mind that these values are not what the Muse calm app is using. Mellow and Concentration are totally separate values calculated with a different algorithm, so they won’t be the same. That said, once you see these values rise, you’ll see that it happens on a 45 degree rise and fall, so I think behind the scenes it’s also a binary detection. I find that I can get these to work far far more easily once my eyes are shut. This is the primary reason that my next feature to Muse Monitor will be audio feedback! As when I’ve got my eyes shut, I can’t see the graph to know it’s working! For now, I recommend using the record function then you can look back at the values on the computer.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply! Given how alien it seems right now, I bet my brain health would benefit immensely from the challenge of learning how to code.

I’ll try your suggested test for battery levels, and I’m kind of relieved to hear you see the same behaviour with the ear electrodes. Will try your suggestion with moistening the contact area there as well. My conclusion then must be that the newer versions of Calm work around the issue by accepting a connection level for the ear electrodes that is not quite sufficient. If true, I wonder what implications this might have for the results reported by the app. Makes me even more interested in trying the wetting method and comparing Calm sessions.

Enigma seems to be only person doing anything. Do prove me wrong. Is there any way to either export the data you send to csv in Muse Monitor to another app?

OR is there any way to make an API for Muse?

It would surely be huge if Muse could enter the QS community properly by integrating with IFTTT, Zapier, Beeminder or really anything which is between a data dump and the closed app.

Thanks for any ideas!

Kyrill, I’m a little confused by your questions. You can open the CSV data from Muse Monitor in many different programs. CSV files are plain text Comma Separated Values designed for this. You can also export “Muse” format, which is an implementation of Google Protocol Buffers, specifically used in Muse Player, but potentially compatible with many other programs.

Regarding an API; Interaxon have already done this, it’s called LibMuse. That’s how Muse Monitor was created. There is a sticky post about this across the top of the forum.

First I hope the following feedback is not taken in the wrong way - it is of course for selfish reasons I write this, and I do not know exactly what goes on behind the scenes, so maybe you’re already way ahead of me - but anyway, I think that at least partially Interaxon’s goals might align with mine, so here goes:

If I were Interaxon, I would put new features in Calm on the backburner for now (bug fixes, whenever necessary, should still be high priority, of course).

Instead, I would work on the following three things:

• Creating a learning app that allows the user to record their own brain states and use those as commands for BCI purposes.

• Developing templates for a number of basic mind/emotional states (we now have ‘mellow’ and ‘concentration’, but are they actually useful for app developers?) I was very hopeful when I saw the Neuromage developer in the forum, intent on supporting Muse in his game. Looked like Interaxon did try to help, but eventually, things did not pan out. Super-important then, I would think, to follow up and ask him and yourselves why it did not, and fix whatever needs to be fixed, for that game and for any future ones.

• Actively courting every provider of services that could interface with Muse to make them support it. Obvious candidates would be those apps and services that already support Neurosky and Emotiv.

I’m not an app or game developer, but if I were, the above would probably be high on my list.

Having developed a great piece of hardware is not enough… Now that competitors are moving forward, it is important to not get left behind…

Thanks Enigma, I guess I mean a “condensed” version of the CSV data - something that can be tracked with Beeminder, Exist.io or any other [I]auto[/I]tracker. For instance a way to export [I]average [/I]“concentration” in a session. I realize I could work this out using the CSV but the workflow is far from perfect. The equivalent of the birds that can be integrated elsewhere.

I had a look at the Beeminder API and it doesn’t look too hard to integrate. I’ll definitely consider it for a future version.
Saying that, I think it would be better if the Interaxon Muse app had Beeminder integration rather than my app. They have access to the full calm algorithm as well as other things like data on the number of bird tweets. More importantly, while you are meditating you’d be hearing the neural feedback, which is the whole point of Muse!

Oh awesome and yeah I def agree about it being better for Muse app - just frustrating that they don’t seem to be updating it.

Does this mean anything to you? https://ifttt.com/maker
this could be an easier was to integrate with apps like Beeminder.

Thanks!

I don’t have a problem with the code, I just don’t think it’s the right feature fit for Muse Monitor right now. Once I’ve got audio feedback added, I will consider it.

Right now I don’t want to be responsible for Beeminder taking real money out of your pocket, after sitting with your eyes shut and no audio feedback on your session! :wink:

Hi amused to breath : great thoughts…!

1 - Calibrate your mental response to sounds and lights/fractal images…
2 - Pick in a simple menu the mental state you want to reach (Thync like) : asleep, meditative, boost, learn…

• Plays ad-hoc music responsive to your brain… live adapted to speedup your goal.
  • Plays light therapy interconnexion or fractal images from your palm/computer/TV/device…
  • Quantify your results and achievements…

I’m in!

Hi Enigma644,

Thanx for your app!

Would it be possible to watch the recorded sequence/file in order to have an overview of the waves (on large scale) + zoom on the Time code.

My user case :
As a meditation expert, I’m don’t feel comfortable with the Calm App guidance. I would like to have a raw overview of my work.

I would like to come back on my last meditation, quantify the results (overall), name it and comment it in a text field : context, comment, …
And then of course choose to export the selected file by email.

Best!

I believe you can do all that in Muse Lab using the recording file from Muse Monitor.

hi Engnima that’s a nice app you got there. Can you tell me why you developed such an app and what scenarios can I use it for? For example if I were to purchase your app and use it, can it tell me if I am slacking in la la land or actually focused trying to write some hard ass code?

or is your app all data and waves for the enthusiast? thanks!

Muse Monitor was developed mainly because I like hacking things and taking them apart. :slight_smile: Being a programmer and not a neuroscientist, I wanted to see what my brain waves looked like, purely from an aesthetic perspective. In terms of usage scenarios, it was my hope that a research team of proper neuroscientists could use the recording function to perform large scale testing using cheap android devices and my app to gather their data. Secondarily I just wanted to give everyone all the data I could possibly get out of the API, so people can try and figure out for themselves how the thing is working.

This post is very useful for me. Lots of thanks for sharing this informative post about Lucid Dream and keep publishing more informative content!!

Hi nick, i am 20 year old Stephen. This app is what you’ve been looking for. it’s “FlameinMind” in the ios app store. Email me @stevesofficial@hotmail.com if you want a discount…

I would like to have an app which is doing the opposit of what the muse app is doing. Playing delta or theta binaural beats when detecting a restless mind and tuning the brain up when detecting a sleepy state. The user should choose how deep he wants to go and Muse does the tuning to reach and keep that state.