Bluetooth Disconnecting on Macbook

I bought the muse headset a few weeks ago, and I still haven’t been able to get a session going on my Mac. The headset pairs and connects for maybe a minute but then the connection drops. From what I’ve seen in the forum this problem is consistent with many users and there hasn’t been a clear answer to this problem. Just to clarify, having in mind the previous replies from developers, I am not using a dongle, but the built-in bluetooth of my Macbook Pro (2010). Also I tried resetting the headset multiple times but the problem persist.

I am currently doing my Masters in Computer Science and I actually bought this headset to base my dissertation on it. So it is really important for me to get it working for research purposes. From what I’ve seen in the forum there is no answer that fixes my problem so I guess this is a bug in the headset drivers. It could also be a bug on my Mac, but since I can have stable connections with other bluetooth devices I highly doubt it.

Here is the muse-io output which is the same as many users have posted before.
bits/second: [B]0[/B] recei
Device to connect to: Muse
Connecting to paired device “Muse”:
Connecting to paired device “Muse”: open!
Connected.

================== Muse Status ==================
Muse Hardware: 15.0.0
Muse Firmware: 7.2.4
Muse Firmware type: Consumer
Muse Bootloader: 7.2.4
Build No: 44
BT Mac Address: 0006666BE6C1
BT Firmware: Ver 5.45 IAP 10
Serial: 1150-RB4P-E6C1
Preset: 14
Filters Enabled: true
- Notch Frequency: 60Hz
Accelerometer Enabled: true
EEG Sample Frequency: 3520Hz
EEG Output Frequency: 220Hz
EEG Samples Bitwidth: 10
EEG Channel Count: 4
EEG Channel Layout: TP9 FP1 FP2 TP10
Downsampling: 16
Output Mode: SEROUT_COMPRESS

bits/second: [B]8712[/B] receiving at: [B]226.06Hz [/B] dropped samples: [B]0[/B]
Battery: [B][============== ]+ 74%[/B] voltage: [B]3.92mV[/B]
Noise: [ [B]12.1% 0.8% 69.6% 12.5% [/B][B]0.0% 0.0% [/B] ]

Then it disconnects:

bits/second: [B]0[/B] recei
Connecting to paired device “Muse”:
Connection failure 2.
Connecting to paired device “Muse”: open!
Connected.

================== Muse Status ==================
Muse Hardware: 15.0.0
Muse Firmware: 7.2.4
Muse Firmware type: Consumer
Muse Bootloader: 7.2.4
Build No: 44
BT Mac Address: 0006666BE6C1
BT Firmware: Ver 5.45 IAP 10
Serial: 1150-RB4P-E6C1
Preset: 14
Filters Enabled: true
- Notch Frequency: 60Hz
Accelerometer Enabled: true
EEG Sample Frequency: 3520Hz
EEG Output Frequency: 220Hz
EEG Samples Bitwidth: 10
EEG Channel Count: 4
EEG Channel Layout: TP9 FP1 FP2 TP10
Downsampling: 16
Output Mode: SEROUT_COMPRESS

bits/second: [B]0[/B] receiving at: [B]220.50Hz [/B] dropped samples: [B]319[/B]
Battery: [B][============== ]+ 73%[/B] voltage: [B]3.92mV[/B]
Noise: [ [B]0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% [/B] ]

Also at the periods when the headset is connected the muse-lab java app doesn’t receive any data at all.

Any ideas?

I would try a dongle if you have one. Wouldn’t hurt. The only problems I have seen on my MacBook Pro (2014) is that the Bluetooth Preferences does not indicate that the headset is connected, even though it is and is functioning.

What is the command line that you are using to launch muse-io?

–tom

Hey, yeah a dongle would be the best choice i guess, once I’m sure there’s nothing I can do to fix my Mac. The problem is that not only the Bluetooth Preferences it shows the headset not connected but also the stream of data from the headset drops after a while, as shown in the muse-io.

The command line I’m using is: muse-io --preset 14 --device Muse --osc osc.udp://localhost:5000

Also, in the MuseLab app on Mac when the headset is connected I get no data response from it.

Thanks,
Panos

Hey @panosstylianou did you ever get your muse connected?

Hey yeah!

I just bought the Inateck Bluetooth 4.0 dongle that is Mac compatible and it works great! Maybe the problem was that my built-in bluetooth was a 2.0. The headset is now connected all the time and there are no signal drops.

I would advise anyone who has a 2010 Macbook Pro or similar and has the same problem to get a bluetooth dongle, preferably a 4.0 to solve the problem

Hi,
I have a Asus Windows 8.1 with a BT 4 and all lates drivers, but it is only connecting for 10 sec and then drop the connection. Test the Muse on a IPhone 4 and IPone 4s and it works fine.
Tested also on a outher ASUS and have the same problem. Then connected the two Asus and this works fine also other BT devises are working fine.
Well willing to get a BT dongle, but it look a bit odd to me.
Any help on this subject?

Hi, have it working now, it needs only to be paired but not connected. I connect the Muse now with the muse-io.exe command line muse-io.exe --preset 14 --device Muse --osc osc.udp://localhost:5000
This connect the muse to the BT and is now working.

I am experiencing the same problem on my MBP. There are still connectivity issues with the headband. I also tried a Bluetooth 4.0 adapter but that doesn’t seem to be working really great on Mavericks overall. I am running on OS X 10.9.4 and Muse firmware is up to date. Anyone have any ideas? =/

Thanks

Hi Pannosstylianou,

How did you come to your conclusion to choose Inateck Bluetooth 4.0 dongle vs any other dongle? I am looking around to buy one but not sure what would be best. Also in reality what is the distance Inateck can handle?

thanks

Hey, I only chose that specific dongle because it had the best ratings i guess. And also because its a 4.0. I can’t guarantee it’s going to work for you, but it worked great for me. So if you have a mac i’d say go for that one.

Hope you get it sorted out

Thought I would post an update here in case anyone comes across this thread via Googling:

If you are experiencing Bluetooth pairing and/or connecting issues with Muse on a Macbook, [B]make sure you have the latest firmware. [/B]

Firmware version 7.8.0 and above should resolve certain Bluetooth issues.

At the time of writing this post (September 9, 2015), the latest firmware is available exclusively through the Muse iOS app. Simply pair Muse with an iOS device, open the app, start a session, and you will be prompted to update if necessary.

Hello!

I have the same problem and I am new to the device. I have installed the Muse Lab app but still no connection. How do I get the bluetooth firmware updated? I wasn’t prompted to do so by launching the program.
Thanks!

Michelez,

You have to use the Muse iOS app to update your firmware, not MuseLab. Download the app onto an iOS device, pair your Muse, log in and start a session. If your firmware is out of date you’ll be prompted for an update.

For using MuseIO and MuseLab to obtain Muse data in general, see here: http://developer.choosemuse.com/research-tools/getting-started

Thanks for the reply, whenever I enter the command line muse–io etc in the terminal the terminal attempts to connects but fails.
Do I need to enter a specific name for the device?

@[B][SIZE=18px]panosstylianou: [/SIZE][/B]I just bought the Inateck Bluetooth 4.0 dongle that is Mac compatible and it works great! Maybe the problem was that my built-in bluetooth was a 2.0. The headset is now connected all the time and there are no signal drops.

I would LOVE to know how you did that… I bought an Inateck Bluetooth 4 dongle as well: thought it would be mac compatible but it isn’t. Which one did you get exactly?
I have also tried to do this

but el captain has different kext files…
Any help on this would be great since my macbook freezes anytime I stop using muse and I have to force restart it…