Calmness %ages

Hello,

I’ve read in the forum a bit to try and find what people’s calmness %ages were and it made me wonder if I am doing things wrong? I got 164 seconds of calm, 16 of neutral and 0 of active as well as 23 birds on my very first session.

That surprizes me because 6 months ago I was having panick attacks and insomnia. Since then I did a few sessions of hypnosis and auto hypnosis and meditated like 3 times in total in my life.

How can I get such scores when I clearly am a very stressed person or so I thought? Do my scores mean I shouldn’t bother meditating and all is fine? And when I see the scores of other people, if my scores are the ones of a person reconvering from panick attacks then what humongous problems can people have with scores in the 20% calmness?

Thanks

http://postimg.org/image/wvkmhpoov/
http://postimg.org/image/zckd764ib/

I think you should go on practising. Meditating is not for ill persons… but for everyone! I had pannick attack too a lot of time. Now i am ok, i get one, i don’t pannick, juste watching it and it goes without medication. I can do it because my mind is trained thanks to meditation. You must know that even people “illuminated” keep a daily practise. You’ll see that sometimes your score will be weak, that’s the way the brain works…

In other words: How accurate is it?

That question has been asked several times in this forum. AFAIK, Interaxon has never published any data showing Muse’s or Calm’s accuracy. I think it would help if they did.

I’ve been using Muse Calm for over a week now, and while I find the regular practice is definitely having its benefits, I’m really not sure what Muse Calm is measuring. My calm % has gone up dramatically, but I know my mind wanders quite often during sessions and there’s no reaction in the app. I can have musical earworms going through my mind, or be considering something I have to do later in the day, and the app is quiet and the birds are chirping. If my eyes are open, the winds howl, though. Even so, it’s measuring something that I am learning to modulate…but “wandering thoughts” ain’t it.

Agree thoughts sometimes go unnoticed by the Calm app - I have noticed that several times myself. It does catch some thoughts before I am aware of them myself, though, and I physically experience the ‘moments of complete calm’ as a kind of positive state.

I suspect there is no perfect correlation between ‘a thought’ and the EEG frequencies at various spots that Muse and Calm sense. Also, it is evident that the Calm measurement for each session is very much dependent upon the nature of the calibration. If I fidget or deliberately stress myself out during calibration, it is very easy to get good Calm scores. It’s just fooling myself, though.

Interestingly, during calibration, my mind seems to want to visualize a mental world map that it proceeds to scan when trying to process most types of data, like sports teams, languages, etc. I am pretty sure that this visualization is noticed by Muse. However, most thoughts that appear during the ‘meditation’ part of the session don’t seem to have this more visual quality. Perhaps that could be a reason why Muse does not pick all of those thoughts up?

Just thought I’d provide a bit of insight into this post.

Your NFB experience currently has a high correlation to your calibration performance. Where NFB is neuro feedback, our response to your current state of mind. In this case the beach scene.

So a poor calibration might lead to a poor NFB experience. We try to accurately access your brainwaves from the data we collect in you calibration, however if the sample set is a bit unusual or unexpected it may cause some unexpected results in your NFB.

In the future we will be building a better model of your history to avoid individual calibrations from causing disturbances in your NFB and creating poor or inaccurate experiences.

In the meantime, if you find that the app is not properly catching your mind wandering, perhaps you can try some variant to the calibration. For instance, the goal is to make your mind busy in calibration, so I like to sing a song in my head or visualize an experience. Perhaps my morning, my evening coming up or even something farther away in time or from reality. This works nicely for me to capture a busy mind, but everyone is a bit different. The point is, if you’re feeling disconnected with your feedback throughout your experience, try experimenting with your calibrations to see if it improved the experience.

Hope that helps everyone.

But as I understand it we are still supposed to keep our eyes closed during calibration? Because open eyes make the winds blow like nothing else, I’m assuming there is a difference between a mind busy in calibration and open eyes during calibration (open eyes is obviously not the same as an active mind, but open eyes makes the winds blow harder than any chattering thoughts I could ever muster during a session!)

Hi Namanstesky,
You’re correct. You should be doing the calibration with your eyes closed if you intend to do your NFB with your eyes closed. The simple reason is because the sensory information while your eyes are open is overwhelming compared to eyes closed. Your brain is processing all the visuals while your eyes are open causing very different brainwaves.

If you’re interested in trying it with your eyes open, you should make sure to keep them open the entire time, calibration and the beach scene. However, I do recommend you try to keep your eyes closed in general while doing sessions. All my recommendations above assume your eyes are still closed during calibration.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for clarifying!

Do you know if the mind is just as sensitive in processing other sensory inputs? I wonder if I put earplugs in my ears that would make a difference? Has anyone experimented with this, or if music would always register as a mental stimulant, even “calming” music?

Hi Namastesky,

Yes, all sensory inputs will affect your brainwaves. Of course part of the application is learning how to tune these things out, loud noises, itching even odours.

I believe there is a high correlation to music and emotion, which in turn ties into state of mind. Conjuring music in your head opposed to listening to it will likely have a big difference as well.

In general we always recommend using headphones with the application for this reason. Keeping yourself in the environment we’ve created is ideal for beginners. Alternatively you could set up the audio on some high quality speakers.

By all means if you’re interested in experimenting, give it a shot listening to music during different stages of the experience and give your results here for discussion. I’m sure plenty of people would be interested in your personal findings.

Hope that helps.

Yes, thanks - lots to experiment with! Since the winds are registering lack of calmness, I’m guessing that less sensory input = less winds, so “calming music” would not help quiet the winds, but I’ll have to try it. Thanks again for your input!

Hi. I have some odd (to me) results to share. I started wearing Muse during various activities to see how said activities affect the results.

I’m a musician, so when playing guitar, especially difficult but repetitive exercises, I register 50-65% calm scores.

but here’s where it gets a little odd … when I uh, let’s call it “play the organ” =) I can score 80-93%, highest measured being 93% so far. Why is this called “calm” when I’m anything but calm during this particular rather vigorous activity? Intensely focused, absolutely, but definitely not calm!

So what is Muse actually measuring for the “calm” part of the scoring?