Can Muse run for during the whole night while I sleep?

I want to record my brainwaves as I sleep. Does the Muse have enough battery or data storage capacity to run for 8-9 hours?
Thanks!

Hi there,

The Muse battery will last up to a max of 5 hours. The data is not stored on the device - it is stored on the host receiving it. So that limitation depends on your smartphone or computer or whatever you are using to connect to Muse.

Muse isn’t designed for use while sleeping, so it may fall off during the night. You’d need to make something to keep it securely fastened on your head while lying down.

Is Muse worth using for (research) devs?

COuldnt you connect it to an USB all night long?

No, Muse does not currently transmit data while plugged into USB.

Well at least it can record 5 hours of data, or it will be too much sensitive to movements? what about using an usb charging outlet?

The main issues with using Muse during sleep are battery life and fit.

The maximum battery life is 5 hours, although this may vary.

Muse isn’t designed to be worn while sleeping, so it may be difficult get good signal while, say, lying on your side. If you move in your sleep and the headband becomes dislodged, that will also disrupt the signal. If you can fashion an elastic of some kind to go between the two ear pods, you may be able to ensure that it stays relatively tight to the head. Or if you can sleep just lying on your back. Certainly you can try it out and see what you think!

Also, as I said before, Muse does not transmit data while plugged into USB. To record near-continuously for more than 5 hours would require you to have multiple Muses and to switch them out for charging.

I would like to devise a system for using the Muse to record sleep EEG whereby the Muse would sit on a table beside the bed. It would be connected via a cable to electrodes attached to my scalp. I have some Kendall Q-Trace Tab Electrodes that I had been using for EKG recordings and I think I could attach 5 of them to my scalp at the points corresponding to the central reference electrode and the four sensors on the Muse. I would attach the electrodes to 5 wires that would run to the Muse where they would connect using another set of Q-Trace electrodes (trimmed to size) on the Muse itself.

Any reason you can think of that this would not work? Would I need to use all three reference electrodes on the front of the Muse? (for a total of 7 wires) Would impedance matching be a problem?

Hi David,

This could work, but you might want to see if it’s really much more comfortable or stable than wearing Muse as is with an elastic of some kind. That way you don’t have to get into the challenge of wiring up new electrodes.

If you do attach external wires to Muse’s electrodes the main thing to be concerned with is shielding. Long, unshielded wires will pick up a lot of interference. So you [I]absolutely[/I] [I]must[/I] use shielded wires with the shield attached to ground at the Muse end of the wire. Also try to make sure the wires are no longer than they absolutely need to be.

You need the centre electrode, which is the reference, and at least one of the adjacent electrodes, which are both DRL (which is a component of all EEG systems that’s necessary for common mode noise rejection).

But, I still think it would be easier to try wearing Muse with an elastic to see how that goes first.

Thanks, Tom. Actually, I have tried an elastic band around the Muse, but it wasn’t comfortable enough with my head on the side of the pillow. Also, I tend to flop around from side to side a lot, which dislodges the headband.

Another issue will be battery life. I’ve had my Muse for about 9 months and now, a charge only lasts about an hour. Is there some way to replace the battery?

I tried preparing a cable (shielded, 5 ft long) with alligator clips to serve as an extension to my Muse and fastened the ends my skin and to the Muse electrodes with Q-Trace Tab Electrodes, but the Muse was not able to detect any signal. So I have given up on that approach.

Then I tried returning to the strategy of keeping the Muse headband on my head, but this time securing it with medical tape (cohesive but without adhesive), wrapping a few turns around my head. This worked much better and I was able to record my EEG signals from all four electrodes for about an hour while I slept.

Hi David,

Glad to hear you found a setup that worked for you. Happy experimenting!

Hey guys!, I am really new on this, but after some tests with Muse Monitor, I have used a swim cap over muse on my head and i have reduced the lost of the signals a lot. I hope it will be useful.

Hi,

I found this topic by accident and thought I would report on my success. I have been recording with my muse 24/7 for months now, including during sleep. What I did was attach a new power supply.

I snapped open the left earpiece and soldered a long shielded cable to the board where the battery is connected, removing the existing battery connection (the spots labeled BAT+ and BAT-, easy to find). I cut a hole for this cable in the plastic using normal wirecutters, and hotglued the wire into place to decrease wear on the solder connection. The other end of the cable I connected to the battery of an old cell phone (still inside the phone), and it works great!

I can charge the Muse while recording by charging the cellphone, and if I do it off a DC battery rather than an adapter, there is minimal additional signal noise. I sleep this way, with my Muse plugged into a DC battery through the battery of a cell phone.

I lay on my back most of the time, but the muse does work a lot better if you secure it with a hat or a headband or a bandana, or tie the earpieces around the back of your head. These are especially true while walking around, jostling the thing.

This was a quick and dirty solution. There must be some way to streamline this. But it works.

By now my Muse has begun breaking (rubber holding the front leads degrades and breaks), and I will need to find a newer solution soon.

Really interesting thread guys. @gmk are you still around? Would be very interested in hearing more about your project. I would also really like to come up with some ideas with detecting sleep states via the Muse data, I could write up some software myself or maybe someone else has come up with a better idea.

If anyone is interested in the battery contacts that @gmk mentions, there is a 2014 Muse teardown video by Lady Ada.

At 27 seconds in to the video you can see her prying the muse open with pliers, but you don’t need to do that! Just flex the curved outer shell straight and the thin front edge of the inner shell will pop out. You can then slide a guitar pick down the side to pop it open without any damage.

I think it goes without mention though that this kind of thing is warranty voiding :wink:

Hey, Enigma644, thanks for your advice!
Yes, it’s really easy to open!