Collect brainwave data easily, and prototype faster with Muse Direct

musedirect
musedeveloper

Discover the Power of Muse

We have now launched the free beta of Muse Direct for Windows 10!
You can seamlessly stream and record brainwave data with just a click of a button, without typing a line of code. Muse Direct works with both 2014 and 2016 versions of the Muse headband.

Learn More and Download

If you’re a developer, you can now build prototypes faster with Muse Direct. Start collecting raw EEG data to test your algorithm without having to build a full application.

If you’re a researcher, you can now collect brainwave data from multiple Muse headbands simultaneously with just the click of a button, creating the opportunity for group experiments.

If you’re an artist, you can now use raw data and built-in algorithms to integrate unique experiences into your art installation. With a few simple clicks, you can select the type of data you want to collect.

If you’re a healthcare practitioner, you can now coach your clients through real-time sessions while monitoring their brainwaves.

Learn More and Download

We'd love to hear your feedback so that we can develop the right product for you. Feel free to reach out to us at musedeveloper@choosemuse.com and discuss it here on the forum.

Hi,

I’m trying to connect a Muse 2016 Muse Direct in Windows 10. However, the connection is maintained for only few second. I tried to use a CSR 4.0 Dongle, but the Muse Direct can not detect the device using this Dongle. I am able to pair my computer with the device via CSR 4.0 Dongle, but not via Muse Direct. Is anyone using Muse Direct successfully? Any recommendation?

Thank you

Roger

Hi Roger,

I normally use an Insignia USB Bluetooth Adapter (NS-PCY5BMA2-C) and have had good success with it.

Hope that helps.

Hi @cbillard,

Have you used with multiple Muse devices? Are they able to stay connect for a long period?

Thank you

Roger

Hi Roger,

I have connected as many as 5 at one point. The longest test I have seen was close to 2 hours and that was with 2 headbands.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

Thank you very much. I purchased a Insignia USB Bluetooth and now It is working very well.
I’m interest in capture EEG from multiple subjects in a synchronous way. However, Muse direct save a file for each subject separately. Is there a way to record all subjects at the same time and export all of them in a unique file?

Thank you once again for your help.

Roger

Hi Roger,

If you send the data from MuseDirect to MuseLab, you can use MuseLab to record the data from all headbands in a single file.

Hi,

I can´t pair the muse device with the computer using Muse Direct. The program can scan my device (Muse-2550) but i can´t pair with the computer. What can i do?

regards,

cbillard,
What do you recommend using to visualize that data? MuseLab seems to only have very basic functionality. I don’t even see any way to scroll back and forth across the data, is there some way to do that?

Hello, after the Windows 10 update of this morning, Muse Direct exits (without any message) after the attempt to check for updates.
Any suggestions?

Hi @raulfcarbone

If you have access to a Bluetooth USB dongle, then you may want to try using that. Personally I use the Insignia Bluetooth dongle mentioned above and I find it works well.

Hi @slmille4

I use MuseLab to view the data, but I know our research team will often use MatLab (first saving the data as a .muse file and then using MusePlayer to convert the .muse file to .mat).

It is possible to scroll back and pause data in MuseLab. On the Visualizer panel, select the “Time” tab and check “Override Master Time”. This will enable the scroll speed scrub bar at the bottom. If you move this to negative values, time will reverse and you will see the data scroll back. You can pause the data with the pause button or by setting the speed to 0.

If you click on the graph, you can also use the up/down arrow keys to zoom in or out.

Hi @m.magrini

Please make sure that your Windows machine has network access and that you are signed in to the Windows Store when you launch Muse Direct.

Thanks for letting us know about this. We hope to address this issue in a future release.

@cbillard - Some Muse Direct bugs for you to fix in this post.

For those having problems with finding a USB bluetooth adaptor that works, I went through 5 different ones before I finally got one that worked! Here is the link on Amazon.ca: USB Bluetooth V4.0.3. Wireless Mini Adapter Dongle $5.20 CAD with free shipping at time of posting.

Note that just because an adaptor has “CSR” written on it, doesn’t mean it will necessarily have a legit Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR) chip inside it. There are a lot of knock-offs on the internet!

Thanks for the bug reports @Enigma644

It is correct that the artifacts are not being properly received in MuseLab. This is something we are looking to fix in the next release of Muse Direct.

Regarding the data that is being saved, the auxilliary channels are being saved from what I see. If I use preset 20 with a Muse 2016 headband, all 5 channels are present in the recorded file. Could you please send me a file that you recorded with preset 20 that has this issue?

The blank EEG lines are actually the artifact, band power data (absolute, relative and score), is_good, HSI and gyro data. Muse-player is not converting the values correctly. If you read the .muse file with the LibMuse SDK, you can see the actual values.

@cbillard I’ve figured out the AUX problem. Preset 20 only gets applied when you connect using the bluetooth toggle button.
This means if you connect to bluetooth, then load a config file with the Preset_20 setting, the UI says Preset_20, but you have not sent the preset to the device, so it remains on the default 21 setting.

Personally I would have the app keep the settings set to the last used configuration, then you don’t have to remember to load the setting file each time you run the app.

Also, I found another bug. I have an MU-01 listed when the app loads, if I click connect on that one by mistake the app crashes out.

Hi,
I’m newer to the programming and I’m using Muse head band 2014 version and I can’t connect my head band with python 3.6 script. Can some one help me to solve this problem?

hy, each time i want to connect Muse device to Win 10 I must remove old connection from win setting and made a new one. After that my Muse Direct will begin to see my Muse headband 2016. I use Assus dongle model USB-BT 400.
Any 1 have any clue how to avois this operation each time i want to use Muse Direct with my Muse 2016 device?

ty