Connection failure: No paired devices exist with matching name or MAC

My problem is that the Muse appears paired in my bluetooth devices menu (of the computer) but when I run MuseIO it appears the error showed in the image ‘Connection failure: No paired devices exist with matching name or MAC’ . Also, I have already specified the name of my Muse in the command window but it still shows this error.

You likely have the 2016 version of the Muse headband which does not yet work with Muse-IO.

Instead of Muse-IO, you can use my app Muse Monitor to stream OSC data to the computer and continue using Muse Lab, or you can view and record live data directly on the phone itself without the need for the PC.

If you want to use Muse Lab, then I would recommend using this MuseLab Config file. This will setup all the graphs for you as well as opening port 5000 UDP to listen for incoming connections.

Once the config file is loaded in Muse Lab, you just need to set your PC IP in the Muse Monitor settings and press the stream button :slight_smile:

I tried to click on the MuseMonitor and it appears that is for an Android and not for a Windows O/S. I have the “new” headband and was really looking forward to what muse-io was offering and it appears it is necessary to follow the developers path was taking me. I have a full time job (The Contact Center Architect for a major financial) and was interested in this as a hobby. Any suggestions on how I get back on that “easier” path would be great.

Steve (MuseConfused)

Muse-IO functions as a stand alone app, which streams Muse(2014) data over the network in OSC format. Muse Monitor’s streaming mode functions in the exact same way, streaming OSC data over the network, the only difference being, usually one would run Muse-IO on the same machine, streaming data to the local loopback IP 127.0.0.1, where as Muse Monitor is run on your phone and requires your computers real LAN IP to stream to.

In my (very biased :wink: ) opinion, using Muse Monitor is far easier than Muse-IO. To use Muse-IO, you need to pair your Muse with Windows (not easy in itself), then navigate to the correct folder in the dos command line and manually run some very specific commands… Where as with Muse Monitor, your run the app and press the stream button :wink:

The only other solution if you want to access your data on a 2016 Muse in Windows, would be to install Visual Studio, learn C#.Net and build your own app with their Windows developer SDK. If you’re interested in doing that, you can find the API documentation here. There is also a very basic sample app included.

Thank you for your reply.
If I download Muse monitor, how could I connect it to Matlab?

I’ve not used MatLab myself, so I’m not sure how to set to it receive OSC streams over the network.

You can however use Muse Monitor to record to Interaxon’s “.Muse” file format, which can then be converted to matlab format with Muse Player.

The Muse Player conversion command you’ll need will be:
muse-player.exe -q -v -f recording.muse -M output.matlab

Great, thanks!
And before that, how can I load a muse file recorded with muse monitor in muse lab?
I already tried writing in the command window this line:
muse-player.exe -f museMonitor_2017-06-08–12-31-48_426670174.muse -s osc.udp://localhost:5000
and this appears:

In the middle of your screenshot you can see the error: File not found: museMonitor_2017-06-08--12-31-48_426670174.muse

So the recorded file is not in the c:\Users\Bego folder.

Make sure you are in the correct folder before running the command.

Hi Enigma,

What is f you want to use Muse Lab, then I would recommend using this MuseLab Config file28. This will setup all the graphs for you as well as opening port 5000 UDP to listen for incoming connections.
How can I use MuseLab Config file? I donot understand what is that for?

Open the config file in Muse Lab and it will open all the ports and setup the graph, rather than having to set everything up by hand.

To play back to Muse Lab using Muse Player, use the following command:
muse-player.exe" -f recording.muse -s osc.udp://localhost:5000

The -f command specifies a muse input file. For a complete list of command line arguments you can type muse-player.exe --help

Quick question about muse monitor

When I took of the headband, while still connected to muse monitor, the reading died down at first, but after a few seconds, the chart started to have readings again. I’m wondering what is causing this to happen.

If the sensors are not grounded on your head, you’ll just get nonsense readings from the static noise.