EEG 4 channel reading in .csv file

excel
graph
csv

Dear Muse community,

i would like to know witch part in the .csv file is related to the EEG 4 channel reading you get in MuseLab when you visualize the brain waves i.e.

The goal is to replicate the pattern’s of the brain waves in .xls file with a line chart so the visualization from MuseLab is matched with the line chart in Excel.

Thank you in Advanced!

Hi all,

I have the same doubts. Could anyone help?

What eeg channel are eeg(0), eeg(1), eeg(2), eeg(3), eeg(4) and eeg(5)?

The same for gyro (0), (1), and (2) and acc (0), (1) and (2), What are the corresponded axis (x,y,z)?

Thank you in advance

Roger

EEG values are described in the docs here … So 0=EEG1=Left ear, 1=EEG2=Left Forehead, etc… EEG5 is the Auxiliary input on the USB port.

Great! Thanks! So…
Muse-Lab / Muse file / Muse Monitor file
0 = EEG1 = TP9
1 = EEG2 = AF7
2 = EEG3 = AF8
3 = EEG4 = TP10
4 = EEG5 = Auxiliary

However, when a export from Muse Monitor to muse. file I do not see the elements (blink, jaw clench) in the file. It only appears when I export to csv. How can I have these elements in the muse. file?

Thank you very much for your help.

Roger

The [.Muse] format also includes the blink and jaw_clench elements. The path will be /muse/elements/blink and /muse/elements/jaw_clench

By default Muse Lab doesn’t show these elements. To turn on the display of them, go to the Markers drop down and enter the path’s above.

You can also double check that your file includes the markers by converting from [.Muse] to a notepad readable text file with Muse Player: muse-player.exe -q -v -f input.muse -O output.txt

Once you’ve done that you’ll see lines in the text that loo k like this:

1508940191.144024 /muse/elements/blink i  1

Hi @Enigma644

Thanks! Now I am able to see the elements in bot muse. and csv. files, as well as in the visualization panel at Muse Lab.
Using your app (Muse Monitor)…

The problem is that using the new Muse Direct app, these elements (blink and jaw_clench) are not sent to Muse Lab. Even recording in the Muse Direct app, these elements are not recorded in the muse. file.
Have you test out Muse Direct? Did you find something related to these issues?

Maybe @cbillard can help me…

Roger

I’ve checked the data from Muse Direct, and you are right, blink and jaw_clench are missing.

As well as blink and jaw_clench, after converting the Muse Direct recording to text using Muse Player, I noticed that there are a lot of eeg lines with completely blank data like this

1508952683.743996 /muse/eeg ffffff  843.333313 857.838806 822.783875 827.216125 nan nan
1508952683.744021 /muse/eeg ffffff  850.989014 855.824158 821.172180 836.483521 nan nan
1508952683.744043 /muse/eeg ffffff  866.300354 862.271057 817.948730 839.706970 nan nan
1508952683.784257 /muse/eeg  
1508952683.784272 /muse/eeg  
1508952683.784274 /muse/eeg  
1508952683.784281 /muse/acc fff  0.063171 0.135986 0.993286

So I wouldn’t recommend using it for anything serious until this bugs are fixed. Bear in mind that Muse Direct is still labelled BETA; I’m sure these things are on their improvements list, along with adding some real algorithms for us to play with! :wink:

Lastly note that in Muse Direct they always output EEG with 6 values (as seen above). So in this case Aux Right is the sixth element /eeg(5) as /eeg(4) is reserved for Aux Left on the old headband. To get the sixth value to actually have data in it, you have to select PRESET_20 for the MU_02.

Collect brainwave data easily, and prototype faster with Muse Direct

Yes. Thank you for check it.
I am collecting EEG data from 4 different subjects simultaneously. So, I am using Muse Monitor app in 4 iphones. It would be possible in the future you create a field for us to customize a name and also put the MUSE ID in the OSC data that are being transmitted to Muse Lab? It is because I need to see in the Muse Lab the data from different people simultaneously. The way I am doing is sending each iphone to a different port (7000, 5000, etc…). However, it is trick to set the channels for each visualization panel (person 1, person 2, etc…).

roger

Sure, I can add an “OSC Prefix” setting.

I think rather than have the MuseID hard coded in there, it’d be better to just have it as a text field where you can type what you like, that way existing users won’t have to modify their MuseLab config files.

So, it would just be blank by default then you could enter user1 and then you’d get OSC paths with user1/muse/eeg showing up in MuseLab. How does that sound?

That sound perfect! Thank you very much. Maybe you can make the existing “Filename prefix” be also the “OSC Prefix”. If it is possible… I do not see a situation in which we will need to discriminate both.

Roger

Right now the default file name prefix is museMonitor, so that would mean everyones OSC paths would change. I’d prefer to add a separate setting anyway to accommodate all workflows.

Great! Thanks!

Muse Monitor version 2.0.16 has now been submitted to the Apple app store and is pending their approval. It will likely be live in 24-48 hours :slight_smile: The Android version 2.0.9 is also done, but I need to wait for my wife to get home, so I can test it on her Google Pixel, then that’ll go live in ~ 4 hours.

Excellent, @Enigma644 Thank you so much.

Have you thought about creating a mechanism in your app to connect multiple devices only one iphone? Or developing a PC version of your app to allow it… It would be very useful. In my research, for example, I have to connect 5-6 muse simultaneously, and by using the app I need 5-6 iphones.
I know Muse Direct intent to do that. But there are various bugs in the beta.

Roger

I could let it connect to multiple devices, but the phone wouldn’t have the processing power to display the data, only keep a black screen and stream. Also the amount of devices it’s possible to sustain a connection to would entirely depend on your phone processing power. If you’re near your limit (which you would have no way of telling), some background task from another app could result in data loss. I want to make sure the experience of using Muse Monitor is flawless and that’s the kind of unknown situation I’d rather avoid!

Rather than expensive iPhones, I would get a bunch of cheap android devices. If you go to Chinese sites like banggood.com and AliExpress.com, it’ll take a while to ship, but you can get a decent Android phone for as low as 50USD, or possibly cheaper if you go on eBay and shop around.

Great idea. Is there any minimum requirement that a Android device should have to run Muse Monitor App?

You need Android version 4.0.0 (API 15), or higher and bluetooth. Bluetooth LE if you want to use the 2016 headband.

The lowest end phone I’ve personally tested on is a Samsung Ace II X, from 2012.

BTW, I just got an email from Apple saying that Muse Monitor 2.0.16 is now approved. So if you go to the app store and hit update, you’ll be able to prefix your OSC streams now :slight_smile:

Perfect! Thanks!

I tried the option muse/elements/blink and /muse/elements/jaw_clench in muse lab and it still doesn’t work. I also tried to look at the txt file but it’s not there. However, if I use the .csv from MuseDirect ios the blink and jaw clench are in the file, if I try it in Muse lab still not working. Any idea?

eeg(0), eeg(1), eeg(2), eeg(3), eeg(4) and eeg(5)?
Which one eeg conect on my mobile phone via blutooth please tell me what can i do.