Effect on Brainwave when eyes are open

musemonitor

I am doing research work with muse by creating visual artwork. I was wondering what effect does open eye and close eye has on beta, alpha and theta waves. As in, is there any co-relation established between open eye and close eye? i.e 10% decrease in alpha waves when eyes are open compared to closed eye.

The classic example of a change in brainwaves due to closed eyes is alpha wave blocking where alpha wave activity increases, especially in the back of the brain.

Here’s a video that shows how to observe this effect by recording brain activity on the Muse and then analyzing the data.

I ran the experiment after watching this video and used Excel instead of Matlab and got similar results.

Are you using the script found in this forum to produce your graphs in excel or did you develop your own script? Even after reviewing the above video… my knowledge of manipulating the data as he did in the video and my knowledge of excel is limited. However, I had great success in the custom visual basic script that was uploaded to this forum and in my first experiment that I posted used a 3 chart comparison… all 30 minute sessions, 1) eyes opened watching TV… 2) eyes closed lying down and relaxed and 3) eyes closed, sitting comfortable while in hypnosis… The results show a very nice difference in brainwaves. Would love to have anyone review it and even tell me their interpretation of the graphs.

The video was using Matlab to make the graphs. Unless you’re working professionally in science or tech it’s unlikely you’ll have it and the license is probably a bit expensive for the home experimenter. I think the video just was able to show how to use the data and how to sort it pretty well.

When in comes to Excel, the graphing macro on the forum works for data that is recorded with the Muse Monitor app. If you were going to go about with graphing Muse data otherwise you’d need to record a .muse file with Muse Lab and then convert it to a .csv file using Muse Player. After that you’d import the .csv file into Excel and have to sort it out and that’s a bit of a process. Surely the easiest way is to use the Muse Monitor app.

If you can take a few screenshots of the graphs you’ve made with your Visual Basic script, you can post them in this thread. I’m at least interested to see how they look.

I agree… In fact, I have looked into Matlab and at this point unable to work with their price range… attempted to download their compiled version they stated that you wouldn’t need the full software to run. I was not able to run it or figure out why. I tried the compiled version of eeglab as well with the same hopeless attempt. Since my Muse Headband is the 2016 version… MuseLab and MusePlayer isn’t working… maybe partly to my systems setup concerning the MusePlayer part…

So to date, my only success has been recording the data through the Muse Monitor App and using his visual basic script he wrote to run it through Excel. I tried several of his earlier version and have great success for what I’m needing so far with his latest version. I’m happy to show you the 3 charts I’ve used within my 1st research experiment.

Here’s three 30 minute sessions… that were conducted within an experiment.

1. Eyes opened and watching tv for 30 minutes:

2. Eyes closed and relaxed for 30 minutes:

3. Eyes closed while in a hypnosis session for 30 minutes:

Very interesting. The radical increase in alpha during the hypnosis session is remarkable, especially as it comes with such a intense decrease in all other power bands.

I’d look into a few things to ensure the readings are trustworthy. First I think replicating the experiment would be very interesting to see if you get the same results. An effect this dramatic begs for a replication.

Secondly I’d look into the headband placement. I’ve noticed with using the Muse is that the position of your head and how the headband is placed there can have a pretty dramatic effect on readings so I’d look into that as well to ensure the observed effect isn’t due to that. I’d repeat the experiment with the head in the same position if that wasn’t the case previously.

I really like the experiments your conducting. I hope you have a chance to share more of your results as they come in.

Yes… I plan to do numerous repeats because if you download the pdf file of this experiment. I give complete details as to all the devices, recordings, etc… I’m using in this experiment in hopes that perhaps others in my group with the same equipment with the exact recording I’m happy to provide can duplicate it themselves. I plan to use this same hypnosis recording since it was the easiest means for me to experiment on myself and to make some changes to background tones, etc… But as you suggested. I had another session this morning using the exact recording with the exact same tones as before and with similar results. Just enough differences to let me know without a doubt, that the voice and hypnosis is as powerful as the tones themselves. I’ll continue to do more on this same experiment with and without tones, with and without words to pinpoint everything. Here’s this mornings session.

Actually Alpha is the same at around 0.5, but everything else is lower.
If you look, the graph scales on the vertical axis are different.