Help

Dear Muse Support,

I am working on project based on Muse technology, and I have a few questions:

1.   How do you get the signal from the headband?

2.   How do you filter this signal to make real time plot in the Muse player?

3.   Which are the filters you have applied to get that signal?

4.   Why is not working the conversion offered by Muse Player, the conversion to .MAT file?

5.   How do you get the RAW data from the headband sensors? Why kind of transformation do you apply on this RAW data to obtain the alpha, beta, theta, gamma signals?

Thank you!

For #1 You have a few options.

1. Use my app Muse Monitor to record data directly on your phone in Excel .CSV or .Muse format. You can stream to Muse Lab (or other OSC software), view recordings Online at Muse Monitor.com, or play with them in Excel using this Macro I made. If you want .MAT files, you can convert Muse Monitor’s .Muse files to .MAT with my updated (unofficial) version of Muse Player v1.9.1, which fixes the encoding issue on Interaxon’s version.
  2. Use Interaxon’s Muse Direct, either on your desktop or their iOS app.
  3. Use Interaxon’s Developer SDK to pull directly from the headset into your own app.

#2/3 - As well as the RAW EEG data, Muse Monitor gives you pre-calculated Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Theta. Interaxon have already pre-processed these to remove blinks, so no filtering is required. If you wanted to do you own FFT’s, then this is possible from the RAW EEG data provided.

#4 - Try my updated version linked above. If it doesn’t work, post the error message on here. Interaxon’s version had some problems with extended character sets. Muse files recorded with Muse Monitor should not have any problems.

#5 - To convert RAW to Waves you need to perform a Fast Fourier Transform, plus I’d also recommend, normalizing, and a hamming filter. This is quite complex and I wouldn’t recommend it unless you know what you’re doing. If you just need Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Theta, then these are already pre-calculated for you in the recording file.