Hi! New PhD researcher here interested in meeting collaborators for a game design project

Hi everyone!

My name is Gabe Pappalardo. I’m a PhD I/O psychologist by training, but I’ve become very passionate about mindfulness meditation and want to create a videogame to expose the practice to a younger generation. I see that there are kits out there that plug MUSE data into the Unity game engine, and I’d love to connect with others who have dived into this work.

Some things about this project:

• The Fog of Maya is explicitly NOT an educational game. It is meant to expose players to mindfulness, not train them in it. A standalone meditation training app will accompany the game for players who choose to deepen their practice. The game promotes concepts like flow, non-violence, and meditation primarily through characters, narrative, and game mechanics. Think “Avatar: The Last Airbender” but as a game.
  • Meditation is a peripheral rather than core game mechanic. The game is 2D action-adventure side-scroller. 95% of the game is running, jumping, sliding, swinging, solving puzzles, and disarming/evading (but not killing) adversaries. For instance the primary character ,Muktan, occassionally enters realms where the Fog of Maya is too dense to see forward. Quieting the mind lifts the fog, allowing Muktan to proceed.
  • This is an early stage project. The game’s narrative is well defined. Initial concept art and physics prototypes are under way. We’d love for the MUSE peripheral to allow for a true meditation experience to exist in the game.

If you’re interested in learning more or are working on similar projects, please reach out! I’d love to talk more! I’m interested in meeting developers and also researchers who may working on grants for which meditation data is desired.

Best,

Gabe