How do i make sense of the Muse Monitor?

I just downloaded muse monitors and i can see the bands screaming all over, how can a layman make sense of these bands?

The best place to start learning about brain waves is probably the wikipedia article on Alpha waves: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_wave

From that page there are many many links to other articles.

So far as identifying relaxation goes, the best place to start would be the research paper “My Virtual Dream: Collective Neurofeedback in an Immersive Art Environment” by Natasha Kovacevic, Petra Ritter, William Tays, Sylvain Moreno, Anthony Randal McIntosh: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0130129

According to this paper, relaxation can be determined as an increase in relative spectral power of Alpha. Doing a quick Google search for “EEG relaxation” will bring up many similar papers mentioning Alpha. You should note however that none of these theories are proven. Currently neuroscience is very much in it’s infancy; there is a lot we do not understand and there is no simple guide which says frequency X means Feeling Y.

Also bear in mind that it has taken Interaxon many years and a team of neuroscientists to come up with their secret algorithm for their Calm app.

Muse Monitor was designed to give easy access to EEG data for neuroscience research students, to further mankind’s understanding of the field.

Thanks - I was taking a few readings this AM, Typically the Alpha was around 75db and in the PM when i took another reading, it was around 148dB, and every other wave was also significantly higher. I believe these are relative readings, I.e. the higher the reading of a particular wave, tells me that the particular wave is dominant - Is that the case? I.e. if i see Alpha dB graphing higher than say Beta dB then should i infer that the dominant wave during that session was Alpha?

For reference, the Muse Monitor values are absolute, in that they are not affected by one another.

In the study quoted above, when they talk about relative Alpha, they’re talking about it relative to itself, regardless of the other waves. So if you do one session where Alpha stays around 75 and a second where it’s around 148, then yes, this would count. The key to it IMHO, is getting a good baseline value to use for “normal”.

I also have muze monitor and this is what I am looking to do.

I work with students and business leaders who dont actually know if they are relaxed or not.

I said I have a piece of kit that can monitor their brainwaves and let them know if they are accessing Alpha/Theta when they attempt relaxation. However I am still not sure what I am looking at in terms of interpretation and telling them… Yes you get stabilize yourself in Alpha and you can see this on the app here?

I know I could prolly use the muze app and say just wait and you will hear the birds singing but that is not the visual/auditory that I want as I was hoping to be able to be much more specific and able to visually show them and print it out.

I have a heatmath ear sensor linked to an app which gives me a good HRV graph that I can show a client as a visual and was hoping to be able to do the same with the Monitor EEG… or can I? Or do I need to have a chat via skype with yourself to help me navigate the way forward?
Cheers
Jeff

I can’t really help with interpreting the data, as I am a programmer not a neuroscientist.

From what I’ve been told and seen online, raising your average Alpha is the key to relaxation, but beyond that you’d need to ask a qualified neuroscientist.

To help with viewing your data I have built an online charting engine at http://musemonitor.com/Chart.php

When I have some spare time between my day job the next features I plan to add are showing the average Alpha for the session and doing a full FFT for a selected range, but I’m open to any suggestions the community has.