How to make the Muse headband usefull?

Hi,

I sort of hit a plateau with the Muse, where the feedback seems much more impacted by the initial listening phase than my actual meditation behavior.

Regularly, while I have the impression of being deeply and gently focused in meditation, the feedback spikes. Then I sort of ‘‘raise an internal eyebrow’’ (on my third eye I guess) to an extent. The feedback will calm down for reasons I fail to comprehend.

My current understanding and use of the feedback is rather useless… I can’T really act upon it. THe feedback generates distraction.

How does the feedback help you do what? Any advice? How do you act upon the feedback, other than bringing back your attention to the breath?

Thank you

Jf

Hmmm…was hoping someone had submitted a helpful answer. Looks like you’re stuck with MY stupid response until someone knowledgeable arrives.

I’ve experienced a similar response to feedback. Spent more time trying to “correct” myself due to feedback than to actually meditate. Became so frustrated that I just stopped using it. What’s the point of negative feedback if it makes matters worse?

Those birds chirping can be annoying too, but at least it’s positive feedback.

(I think it’s called “encouragement”)

At least those annoying chirping birds USED to be encouraging. They’re just annoying now since volume as been lowered to barely noticable.

Finally decided to push on anyway. These so-called features are interesting and may even be useful to some people if they encourage users to meditate. They mean exactly what you WANT them to mean, so for ME the audio feedback means nothing.

There is no right or wrong to meditate. If you commit to setting aside a few minutes each day to be still, you’ve already succeeded.

(I just wish they’d crank up the VOLUME on those annoyingly chirpy birds. I happen to LIKE them…)

Hi Rip,

I turn the birds off, as they wreck my calm state on contact (when I do a honest closed eyes initial listening). ‘‘Yay! A bird! Hope it get to keep it…Here it goes…’’

I found out a Facebook Muse group that’s way more active than this one, where you might get access more to insight.

I was interested in Muse’s personel advice but they don’t seem to respond to the user community in the context of this forum at least.

I will simply say: when I purchase a 300 bucks device, I expect way more. More comprehensive and acessible user info would add a lot of value to the Muse. I would’nt want to have users stating they don’t get an use out my product on my own forum, and leave them unnatended. Not my problem I guess.

Good luck Rip

Jf

use eeg power spectra to see cross hemispheric balance and RATIO (cascade) between alpha beta harmonics ( www.flameinmind.com

Hi Dan
I have the Muse monitor app that will record and let ,me look at FFT which is useful.

What will the flameinmind assist me with thats more than the muse monitor…

Cheers
Jeff

Well, I think the theory is operant conditioning - the idea is that real time positive reinforcement leads to a learning curve. You bring up some interesting points: “How do I act on it?”. Interestingly, it shouldn’t really matter b/c operant learning has been demonstrated in simple animals like pigeons that don’t really have thoughts like “what should I do next?” In other words, it can be a process that’s out of conscious awareness. The other thing you’ve noticed is that “raising an internal eyebrow” - great description - we can often do some subtle thing with the body mind that increases attentional effort temporarily, probably through muscle tension. It’s like a kid sticking their tongue out when they write. However, all of this depends on good calibration - if the calibration is all messed up, I don’t think the operant learning can possibly work.

What do you find useful with the FFT? I’m worried about being able to divine anything from the EEG data I get from Muse Monitor since neuroscience isn’t really my field.

Hey Gia, what’s the Facebook group called, I’m interested in checking it out, thanks!