How to monitor brain waves while sleeping

Haven’t categorized this post because i’m not too sure which topic it falls under.

My initial question is how can I get all the data from using the brain sensing headband in a capturing state but while sleeping.

However this question can be answered many ways and while my first instinct is to grab my headband and take a screwdriver to it, I figured I would ask around to see if this has been done before.

I currently use BrainLog on iOS to record my brainwaves while performing a number of exercises for my own studies but currently I’m looking to get deeper into the subconscious mind and sort of “engineer” my sleep if I may be so bold.

In theory, I would use a device (or my own setup from a hacked muse headband) to record my brain waves when I sleep and from there I would like to try a vast number of things, all of which result in different “next questions” being asked and so on and so forth.

One of the simpler things that I would love to do is mess with the brains ability to clear away all the build up that eventually leads to problems once we get older. There is a theory (and I say theory because I haven’t verified this for myself) that you can play a metronome to a sleeping subject at the predicted moments of brain peak in wave form and this click being synchronized with your brain will elevate brain activity after the 3rd or 4th click with results ranging from great sleep, enhanced focus upon waking, energized more than normal and so on.

Once I get a device to use for monitoring my sleeping brain, I would like to use other devices or apps to analyze the data in real time and match a metronome to it according to the data I am looking at as well as recording on the charts the exact moment the metronome also played to compare results. I will be testing results of what happens when the “lag” or differential time period from brain wave peak to sound occurs to find out if there is a particular setting that works best as well as what if my data comes out slightly different than theirs, than perhaps there was a flaw that needs exposing for greater understanding.

for further understanding of what I am talking about as far as sleeping better with sound, here is a great Tedx that breaks it down nicely. Understanding “How do I Sleep Better” | Dr. Vyga Kaufmann | TEDxBoulder

I’m having great success with my experiments similar to your metronome theory by adding isochronic tones and directing the brainwaves to lower their activity. It doesn’t solve your sleep recording but could add more options to your experiments.

What do you mean you are using it to lower activity? As in you are trying to find peaks while sleeping and eliminate them?
biting fingernails
That sounds a bit risky… We know historically through science that our brain can be at times x5 more active while sleeping vs when we are consciously awake. I mean at the end of the day research is research so if this theory is correct, than your outcome should reflect that I guess.

Just to get an idea of what you are doing, you use the Muse Headband to record brainwaves while playing isochronic tones through headphones? What does your sleep setup look like as far as hardware? Do you pick something off youtube like a lucid dreaming video or something similar with the brain recording app in the background?

No… while my research is geared around hypnosis… there is a natural relationship to that of sleep since we all go through the same process of hypnosis as we go though the brain states as we go to sleep and as we awake we reverse that process. I just uploaded a screenshot of my latest experiment using a 17 minute hypnosis recording showing the difference in the same recording before and after I add isochronic tones to the recording. My best experiment to date is the graph in a 30 minute hypnosis recording, I’m happy to show you and I’ve set up a topic here concerning EEG data in Hypnosis. I’ve also created a slack account to put together a collaborative team to share my experiments if it helps. My goal is to also come up with an engineered outcome. Here’s the experiment I worked on yesterday. Two graph comparison as I mentioned. I use the Muse headband to read the waves, sending it to the MuseMonitor App, recording the data in that app and using his CSV Graphing Script to create the graphs.