How to open and play a recording of a session from a .muse file?

Hi, I know this topic has been covered before here:

http://forum.choosemuse.com/forum/technical-support/3534-how-to-open-muse

But the answers were WAY too technical.

I don’t know how too command prompt anything! Can someone explain this very simply as if I was a 5 year old?

I wish there were some youtube tutorials on this :smiley:

Hey frustrateduser,

Unfortunately for your case, all the developer tools for Muse are currently geared towards people with technical backgrounds.

So the tool to use to replay .muse files is MusePlayer. Have you looked at all at the Research Tools Getting Started tutorial? It touches briefly on using MusePlayer to convert a .muse file. The only difference when you’re replaying rather than converting is that you use a slightly different command. The tutorial is here: http://developer.choosemuse.com/rese…etting-started

It’s a good introduction to connecting to Muse in general. I would really recommend trying it out if you haven’t already.

To replay a file you could use a command like this (there’s no getting around using the command prompt, I’m afraid):

muse-player -f the_name_of_your_file.muse -s

This will start replaying the .muse file, sending the data to port 5001 on your computer. Open MuseLab, type in 5001 into the Port text box, select “UDP”, and click “Open”.

Hope that helps a bit!

Thanks, you forgot to mention that you also include the folder location so it actually appears something like this: “muse-player -f C:\Users\yourcomputersname\Documents\muselab_recording.muse -s”

You can’t scroll like you can audio recordings, it’s a stream so you have to watch it in real time as if you were recording your brainwaves again… pretty impractical… It would be more useful to screencapture or record the computer screen while you are in session then you can watch the video back in a video editing program to have control over which part you want to watch.

Hey,

Actually, you can scroll through the recording in MuseLab. The issue is that you have to wait for it to replay fully first to look through the whole thing, which is not necessarily ideal for what you’re trying to achieve.

In any case, to pause and skip back/forward in a recording (or a live streaming session), check out the Time submenu in your visualizer (Visualizers dropdown -> Create a new visualizer -> Select Time submenu -> Check “Override Master Time” checkbox).

You could also open the file in other program like Excel or MATLAB to graph it and inspect it. If you end up going this way and use CSV-formatted Muse data, note that you will have to separate out different message types into their own columns to graph them. The CSV files have all the different message types (EEG, band powers, accelerometer, etc.) mixed together in a list, recorded as they arrived at your computer. They are not separated out into columns corresponding to EEG, accelerometer, or similar. See the specification for more info: http://developer.choosemuse.com/file-formats/csv