How to use Muse Monitor OSC streaming?

I bought a Muse headband to use MuseIO, Muse Lab, Muse Player.
But I found that MuseIO does not support Muse 2016 version.
So I asked to Muse about when MuseIO would support Muse 2016.
Company said it will be late 2016 or 2017 and recommended “Muse Monitor” app.

I purchased the app. It was great and well made app itself.

I could save raw data as csv, muse files. Then I could visualize the saved files in My desktop with Muse Lab, Muse Player.
But I couldn’t find a way to osc streaming.
After I click steaming button in the app, I opened 5000 port in Muse Lab.
But nothing happens. I tried to change several IPs.
Does OSC streaming need bluetooth or WIFI connection with desktop?
Is there any easy steps to follow on?

Muse monitor OSC streming

Before you press the Stream button in Muse Monitor; go to [Settings] -> [OSC Server] and enter the IP address of the server running Muse Lab. You will need to be on the same WiFi network with both the phone and desktop.

Try our this Muse Lab config file to automatically set up the RAW and Absolute graphs: [CONFIG DOWNLOAD]

Thank you for your kind answer. :slight_smile:

How could I find my OSC server address?

I tried My PC network IP, but it didn’t work.

Your PC network IP is the correct one to use. If it’s not working, try turning off your PCs firewall. Also note that some school/university networks block UDP, which is required for streaming to work.

Thanks. But I couldn’t fix this problem.
Please check my steps.

1. Put the headband on, Run the Muse monitor app.

2. Then they are connected automatically. I could see brain waves.
    All of app fuctions work well with the phone.

3. Found CMD-ipconfig In-IPv4 address 198.168.0.7
    -> set app settings OSC stream IP as : 198.168.0.7

4. Firewall off. And I am at home not office or school.

5. Run muse-lab 1.6.3 build-17
    At opened ports type 5000 with TCP
    Click Open port.
    repeating click refresh, Nothing happens.

Port 5000 UDP, not TCP :slight_smile:

Ok, changed it to UDP.
And message says “could not bind port”.
After I searched forum, I found it means the port is occupied.

So I tried 5001 5440 6000 7000 4000 etc.
And “could not bind port” message has gone.
Still nothing comes up. What should I do ?

You have something else using the port. You should find out what that is and stop the program. From the command line run netstat -noa to list all open ports and what process id (PID) has the port open. Once you have the PID of the program, open up Task Manager and click the details tab to find the app with the matching PID.

Difficulty streaming from Muse Monitor to MuseLab

Thank you very much. You helped me a lot. Finally it works.

I just started handling osc data with python.

Is there any sample codes for python that I can practice with?

Hard to find code woring with OSC.

I don’t have any python code I’m afraid. I would suggest you have a look on something like stack overflow.

Did you ever get this working? I keep having OSC servers time out on message call backs in python.

Hello! Thank you for all your help here. I’m having the same problem except that there does not seem to be anything using the port, and I have my firewall turned off, put in my IP address in the Settings in the app etc etc. What do you reckon may be the problem? I keep refreshing the Muselab but nothing seems to be happening, not even an error message comes up…

Connecting Muse 2016 to Windows 10

When you open Muse Lab, only load the config file: muselab_configuration.json once it’s loaded, you don’t have to change anything, just wait. This config file sets up UDP5000 and all the visualisers.
Next press the stream button in Muse Monitor. That’s it. If it’s not working, then your phone is probably not on the same network as your PC. It’s also possible, but highly unlikely that the network is not forwarding UDP traffic, but I have only seen that problem happen on some university campus networks, never in a home set up.

Thanks so much! It works now! Turned out one of the wifi networks we have, which I was on, did not allow UDP traffic forwarding, so I switched to another network and it now works.

Would you be able to advice me if there is a built-in muselab way of exporting this live traffic to Mathematica? If so, on Mathematica I could be reading that exported file live and working with it… Any guidance on what is usually required for this kind of stuff would be really helpful even if not specific to Mathematica…

I seem to be also getting live data from the Muse through Visual Studio. So perhaps there is a way for me to get this data into Mathematica? I am using Mathematica for all the other aspects of my work so the live data needs to be in Mathematica for this purpose.

I’ve not used Mathematica, but a quick google search turned up this and this. So in theory, you can stream straight from Muse Monitor to Mathematica without using Muse Lab at all.

Alternatively, you could use Muse Lab’s recording function to record the Muse Monitor stream to a file, then at the same time have Mathematica read from that file as it’s being written, but whether this would work, would depend on how often Muse Lab flushes the file write.

Hi Enigma644,

first of all, thank you for your help!
Only one thing, I’d really need also the relative band power data, concentration and mellow too… how can I get them to my computer? Where can I activate them in muse monitor, because in all data I couldn’t find them…

Regards

Relative band powers you can calculate easily as band_absolute divided by the sum of all band absolutes.
Mellow and Concentration are hidden by default as I don’t think they are very good algorithms! If you want to enable them, go to settings and tap the version number at the bottom 10 times! This will also make a section on them appear in the in app help.

Thank you!!
As you mentioned - they are not so good algorithms - what do you suggest instead of them? Are there any usable calculations for mellow and concentration or any other state?
Cherrio

Interaxon have not released any public algorithms for any mind states. If you’re aware of any 3rd party publicly available mind state algorithms, I’d be happy to test them out in Muse Monitor.