Interpretting data from Muse API

In the sample, it looks like it is only receiving Alpha data. The API suggests the other channels are available.

That said: I’m receiving the 4 doubles for alpha – but I am not sure how to interpret them. I don’t even know what the range is! Is there some documentation on what these numbers signify? I’ve looked around the SDK docs, but the class documentation does not seem to be designed to answer this question.

It is possible to receive the other data types, but you will need to register a data listener on the Muse object first.

The sample application registers the data listener in the onClick (Android) and connect (iOS) functions. It also filters the data packets in the receiveMuseDataPacket callback, so if you register to receive a new data type, you will also need to adjust this callback to display/log the data as you see fit.

The absolute, relative and score values are described in more detail in the web documentation for the research tools (see http://developer.choosemuse.com/research-tools/available-data). We will look into improving the SDK documentation in this regard in the future. Thanks.

I got the other data types; that aspect of the API is clear. Thanks!

But even with the descriptions on the available-data page, it’s unclear how best to interpret the absolute or relative power readings as an indication of brain state. Is there any guidance available on that, or are we left to do our own research?

Obviously, there is a proprietary element here for Muse: the computation of “calm” in the muse app is undoubtedly more subtle than “AbsoluteAlpha” > 0.5 – nonetheless, if there are published best practices for interpretting the Muse power readings per band, that would be very useful!

For the most part, the interpretation of what each absolute and relative value means is left to you.

In the past we used to have ‘Mellow’ and ‘Concentrate’ algorithms, but these were removed as we did not believe that these reflected the quality of experience that we wanted our users to have. There was a joint research paper published on the development though. Check out the last button on http://developer.choosemuse.com/faq for a short description of the two algorithms, how they related to the relative powers and a link to the research paper.