Is Muse worth using for (research) devs?

Hey, I was wondering how good the Muse is -especially compared to alternatives- for research and development.

How does the quality and quantity of (raw) data compare to alternatives? Is it accurate? How much does the data depend on positioning, hair, moisture, differences among people etc? Is it good/accurate enough to be able to pick up targeted thoughts with right data processing?

How good is the tooling, how easy is it to get started with the data and is it usable among different platforms/languages?

Are there any other important aspects that might make development harder. Like, can it be used for extended periods? Does it fit on both large and small heads? Are there any weird legal issues?

Here’s a nice, peer-reviewed comparison of the Muse with standard EEG-research systems, done by people with no financial ties to Interaxon:

Krigolson, Olave E., Chad C. Williams, Angela Norton, Cameron D. Hassall, and Francisco L. Colino. “Choosing MUSE: Validation of a low-cost, portable EEG system for ERP research.” Frontiers in neuroscience 11 (2017): 109.

The Muse data is a bit noisier but quite comparable to the research grade system and clearly identifies the EEG-phenomena of interest.

Oh wow that answers most of my questions! Thanks. That definitely makes it seem adequate for what I had in mind

Does anyone know how long the headset remains powered? Is it indefinitely, or at least long enough for sleep research etc?

Hey Sig,

You might find this post useful for answering whether you can use Muse headband for sleep study.

One amendment, the Muse 2016 can be used up to 10 hours (see tech spec), but the rest of the points of that post remains.