Is there support in Muse for Quiet Mind meditation by way of neurofeedback

I have been using Muse 2 for the past 1 week. I tried Breathe meditation but the 4/6 forced cycle aggravated my anxiety. so I switched to Mind meditation. But the feedback from the app is for only focus meditation. Is there any meditation in the Guided meditation collection for quiet mind meditation or Shoonya meditation. I want to make my mind stop thinking for the duration of meditation. I want feedback from the hardware as to whether I am doing it correctly and to guide me in achieving a quiet mind. Is such a feature available ? Please help. Thanks.
Raghav

Hi Raghav,

I don’t like the Breathe meditation either. It is difficult to become exactly in synch with how the program wants you to breathe. How important is it to have your breathing EXACTLY in synch with the app? Not important at all, in my opinion. Just breathe to the suggested pattern on your own. I also don’t like the Heart meditation, but that’s another matter.

Instead, stick with the Mind meditation. The feedback from the app is not just for focus. It will also react to your level of anxiety. This is because both focus and calm affect your brain waves. Brain waves are what the Mind meditation senses. It does not sense focus or calm directly.

So as you are doing your Mind meditation, keep your focus on the breath and allow yourself to relax. A good way to relax is to do scans of your body while you are meditating, sensing any areas that have muscular tension, and relaxing them. Also you can consciously breathe more slowly. Consciously relax with each out breath.

Remember, Mind meditation is about brain waves. Keeping focus on the breath while you relax will tend to produce the brain waves the app wants to make the bird sounds and keep away the weather sounds.

Thanks Sarkikos for the advice. I will try relaxing while focussing on my breathe. If I simply focus on my breathe for the duration of meditation (I am doing 45 min) I get good score of 390 birds and around 7900 muse points. But after the session I feel exhausted for the rest of the day. Maybe I should cut down on the duration and also try to bring in whole body awareness. Thanks.

Number of birds is important. But I disregard the Muse Points. Percentage Calm is more important. I’m doing a good job if I get in the 80’s or 90’s. You can see a list of your Percentage Calm’s day by day in your Meditation history. I asked the Muse company to place Percentage Calm on the screen for each specific day of meditation. But they don’t listen to me. :roll_eyes:

I do 35 minutes each day for Mind Meditation on the Muse. That is enough to check on your progress and get good results from the meditation. I might do other meditation during the day without the headband.

Thanks. I am getting around 85% calm and 15 sec of active and remaining time in neutral in a 45 min session.

85% Calm is good. I’m usually in the 80’s or 90’s, with only a few jumps into Active. I can usually get back down into Calm pretty quickly, so the Active time amounts to blips, not sustained durations of time. Most of the non-Calm time is in Neutral.

But some days I just cannot remain as long in Calm. Maybe something is bothering me from work or my personal life. Once in a while my Calm percentage dips down into the 70’s, or even the 60’s. It happens. But I try to stick to the meditation until the bell rings. Expert meditators say these not-so-great meditations are payments toward good meditations in the future. You need to keep up the meditation, day by day, and not give up.

Thanks Sarkikos, you have been a great help. Cheers.

It depends on what you set your baseline to while calibrating, so if during calibrated you were artificially agitated, you will see a lot more % calm (same for birds). I believe this to be the fundamental drawback of Muse.

Hi milindnz,

If you are too agitated during calibration your meditation will be too easy. If you are too calm during calibration, your meditation will be too difficult. The trick is to do all you can to bring your mind into the Neutral range during calibration.

Here is what I do:

In volume settings I turn off the voice instructions. Personally, having the voice say the same things to me every time I calibrate is irritating. I don’t need instructions. (Also, I think the instructions for calibration are not really optimal.)

During calibration I keep my eyes closed. This will prevent alpha blocking. You want some alpha waves during calibration. But not too much. And you want some beta waves. But not so much theta. Too much theta shows you are too calm for calibration.

During calibration I count silently from one to ten, and back down from ten to one. I repeat this in several languages. (Anyone can learn to count in several foreign languages. Not very difficult.) This keeps my mind alert and active. This will generate some beta waves. Not too agitated, and not too calm. Just about neutral.

You can also try silently reciting multiplication tables.

Just do something mentally that is not agitated and not calm. And keep your eyes closed.

Mike

Agree. I also use the counting backward technique.

Personally, I find the sound of waves (or any other background) to be too intrusive. This Muse meditation is useful only if you’re doing focus meditation, but becomes distractive and intrusive if if you’re used to witnessing meditation. Focus is only a tool to achieving the stillness to experience observation of thoughts, not an end in itself.

In Volume Settings, I keep the Background and Voice completely off. To me, all Backgrounds are distracting. They serve no usual purpose. The Voice instructions are irritating and not needed. I keep Feedback on about 1/3 volume. I keep Birds on full volume. Feedback and Birds are the only true feedback sounds when using the Muse. Negative feedback and positive feedback are both useful. In my opinion based on my experience, the other sounds are completely useless.

This is why I do not like the Heart meditation. You should be able to eliminate the background sounds but the app will not let you. You only really need feedback to let you know if your heart rate is increasing or decreasing. Everything else is nonsense. I’ve told the Muse people this, but they ignore me. As it is now, the Heart meditation is a useless waste of time.

You can use the Mind meditation and still be able to observe the flow of your thoughts. The feedback lets you know if you are in Calm or not. (I think Calm has a predominance of Alpha and Theta waves.) Often I will slip down into a mostly Theta state and I can hear my stream of consciousness thoughts. This can give you some insight into your subconscious.

But personally this is not why I meditate. I meditate to reach a calm, focused state (a mix of alpha, theta and gamma). If I am doing it right, I will hear a steady chorus of birds, no weather sounds and virtually no thoughts. To me this is good meditation. If I’m doing really well, I will feel pleasant emotion, pleasant sensations and see nimitta (internal visual light that is a sign of a deep meditative state), which then leads to a deep calm state of mind with no thoughts.

For a quiet mind which waves are to be amplified and which ones suppressed ?