It is possible to actually use muse for anything apart from entertainment?

This snippet

“Muse is a powerful, compact electroencephalography (EEG)
system. By leveraging improvements in dry sensor technology,
bluetooth and battery life, as well as significant advances in digital
signal processing, Muse makes it easy to access and use
brainwave data, inside and outside the laboratory and in real world
environments.”

is taken from the muse site at https://choosemuse.com/muse-research/

Given the demise of the SDK, how is anyone doing meaningful “research” with Muse? An exactly how does Muse make it “… easy to access and use brainwave data,…” without the SDK?

This forum is called the “muse research forum”. Is anyone here doing anything that suggests this is anything more than a toy? How were the existing Interaxon partners “vetted”? What does one need to do to get into this circle?

Thank you.

I personally conduct research on the “Development of Meditation Training Instruments” and “Prevention and Relief of Symptoms of Early Senile Dementia.”
Portable products development is also going well.
Although business may be limited to Japan, I might commercialize.
私は「瞑想訓練ツールの開発」と「初期の老年性認知症の予防と症状緩和」のための研究を個人的に行っています。ポータブル型の製品開発も順調です。「日本国内限定」で事業化するかもしれません。
In Japan, even if the SDK is abolished, we can buy a third-party, high-performance, kindly designed and reliable Mind monitor for about $ 20. Developing portable devices for Arduino with Wi-Fi support or performing analysis tasks in Excel and MATLAB has no obstacles.
SDKが廃止されてもサードパーティ製の高性能で親切に設計された信頼性の高い"Mind monitor"が20ドルぐらいで買えます。Wi-Fi対応のArduinoによるポータブル機器の開発にせよ、ExcelやMATLABにデータを受け渡す分析作業にせよ、私の研究には全く支障がありません。
If possible, the external terminals of the “original MUSE (Muse-02)” were more durable, and if the brain waves of the occiput can be reliably collected, the range of use of MUSE itself will be greatly expanded. I assume this is an improvement that MUSE manufacturers should consider in the sense of “increasing the commercial value of MUSE”.
できることならオリジナルMUSE(Muse-02)の外部端子がもっと丈夫で確実に後頭部の脳波を採取できたならMUSEそのものの利用範囲が大きく拡大します。これは「MUSEの商品価値を高める」意味でもMUSEの製造元にぜひ検討してほしい改善点です。

You can use open source code like muse-lsl or build your own system to receive data from Muse headbands, which is what I did. Mind Monitor is limited to one headband and is also dependent on the Muse SDK. Considering the headband has only a few sensors there’s only so much EEG research that can be done, but the data is useful for more than entertainment. There is a plugin for EEGLAB that will read Muse CSV (Muse Direct and Mind Monitor) files, it’s a clunky interface but has some standard EEG tools for analysis.

As a Muse daily user, not a researcher, I find the suggestion that Muse is a toy fails to engage with the practical benefits of this technology, such as for enabling better clarity of thought. Muse enables me to achieve consistent deep meditative states. I am confident that I am not wasting my time by using Muse to meditate, in view of the documented health benefits of consistent meditation, and the psychological habit advantages of having a record of meditation experience on the iPhone. Meditation should not be disparaged as entertainment. I hope that was not the intention of the comment.

We do a fair amount of research pairing Muse with virtual and augmented reality. But we’re using Muse as an input to allow the user to power the experience…and then we measure the output the old fashioned way using a traditional 24 channel EEG cap on an sLORETA scale. Here’s some of our nerdery with Muse and firefighters’ feelings of positivity using VR. https://www.neuroregulation.org/article/view/18385/12014

Thank you to all those who took the time to respond to my inquiry. I will attempt to post individual contextually relevant responses as time permits…

I appreciate the detail here but i’m not sure it really answers my question; if i understand correctly, you’re suggesting using entirely different hardware and software.

RoberT, Please don’t take my ‘toy’ reference as offense, none was meant; it was perhaps a poor choice of words. There is NO question that meditation is of great value; the science behind this truth is rich and compelling. Anything which compels us to practice is of value and for some muse may be priceless. I’ve been ‘practicing’ in one form or another for nearly six decades. My question is based on more than five years personal experience with muse, over which time, I’ve come to the conclusion that Interaxon is doing very little to enable the creative application of their hardware. The lack of support for Muse 2, followed by the dropping of the SDK led me to wonder how folks (apart from those INSIDE Interaxon) are exploiting this hardware in meaningful ways.

-Mark

if i understand correctly, you’re suggesting using entirely different hardware and software.

My answer based on using Muse and Mind monitor.
I recommend you to expand your imagination by seeing the enormous potential of Muse.

For more information, details are published on Facebook, “the Muse Community” and “the Muse Headband Users Forum.”
I am also talking about Mind monitor, Arduino equipment and EEG data analysis using software such as Matlab, as well as adding occipital EEG electrodes to the original Muse.

私の回答はMuseとMind monitorを使用することを前提としています。Museの大きな可能性を見て想像力を広げることをお勧めします。

詳しくは、Facebookの「The Muse Community」や「Muse headband user forum」に詳細な活動を公開しています。
なお、Mind monitorからArduinoのハードウエアや、Matlabなどのソフトウエアによる脳波のデータ解析、さらにはMuse originalへの後頭部脳波電極などの追加なども話題にしています。