Learn more about Brainwaves?

SO ive been using the Muse for over a year and love it!

I recently seen an app on itunes “muse Monitor” which shows the brain waves
Im sure more of these app will pop up and so im wondering…

whats the point of knowing what waves your mind is in?
Is there somewhere u can suggest i start? to do some research?
so this way i know what all this data means? lol

thanks guys!

Anyone have anymore input on this app? It’s something i might buy. I’m very interested in brainwaves, my brain is broken and I’m convinced I have some “not normal” hurdles to jump than the rest with my old issue. Viral encephalitis and a 3 month coma along with grand mal seizures and I know that there is damage left. I’d love to see my brainwaves. Is this real accurate?

The best place to start learning about brain waves is probably the wikipedia article on Alpha waves.

From that page there are many many links to other articles.

So far as identifying meaning goes, have a look at the research paper “My Virtual Dream: Collective Neurofeedback in an Immersive Art Environment” by Natasha Kovacevic, Petra Ritter, William Tays, Sylvain Moreno, Anthony Randal McIntosh

According to this paper, relaxation can be determined as an increase in relative spectral power of Alpha. Doing a quick Google search for “EEG relaxation” will bring up many similar papers mentioning Alpha. You should note however that currently neuroscience is very much in it’s infancy; there is a lot we do not understand and there is no simple guide which says frequency X means Feeling Y.

Muse Monitor was designed to give easy access to EEG data for neuroscience research students, to further mankind’s understanding of the field and help answer these very questions about what exactly our brainwaves mean!

Further reading:

So then we dont know if when Muse says “we are calm” that it actually means that?

since we dont know what exactly each brainwave is responsible for?

I don’t believe there is any neuroscientist on the planet who would claim to know exactly what each brainwave is for! (yet!)

As far as I’m aware, current research seems to lean heavily towards Alpha as being the best indicator of “calm”, so with Interaxon’s team of neuroscientists and many years of research, that would be my best guess at what is getting calculated under the hood of their Calm app.

If you use Muse Monitor to record yourself in a “normal” state and then try relaxing, you can see that your average Alpha level will be higher during the relaxation period. This is most clearly shown when taking averages for many sample sets.

In the “Virtual Dream” research paper linked above, they have a graph showing this trend, averaged across their sample set:

Hello about the alpha waves, using the Muse Monitor, it seems that when i use the Muse Monitor, the more i am calm and the more that the alpha waves drop… so this is the opposite of what you mentioned
am i doing something wrong ?
Regards
Raffo

Maybe :wink:

According to the research above, the average over a period of time is higher when relaxed. You will have to get a good baseline for your non-relaxed average to start. I would record several sessions for your baseline average, then record several while meditating and then you can properly compare. Science is easier when you have a large data set to work with.