Martial Arts

Has anyone tried this for internal martial arts? I do Wing Chun in Hongkong, with Mindful Wingchun. #nimaking

Im wondering if anyone has any tips for operating it, while in the state of flow for movement.

Ok, so I bought a MUSE. And Im finding it great for the use of internal martial arts. So its possible to be calm during movement.
As a matter of fact, im getting calmer readings while standing with eyes open and still or even pivoting , than I am in meditaiton (Im not a practised meditator).

Today during a lesson of internal martial art, my instructor had the earphone in for feedback and I wore the device. It was a great for feedback to the instructor if I was “in the state” or not.

It is much more accurate and responsive than I anticipated.

As an example, when standing still, we go through a sequence to relax the body and calm the mind and become present. We eventually want to place our mind into our spine and become very aware of this area, from there we can deal with contact or move, while maintaining this “idea” of awareness. Its a wholesome feeling of being very aware of the whole body and the environment, and not reacting or analyzing any of it. The movement is done with “intent” rather than thought.
What ive learnt from the Muse , is that even by using key words to remind me to relax and place the mind, its spiking on the feedback. By just going straight to the “experience” is the way to go. This is what I like about it so far.

When in this state, the muse is showing very low levels of clamness. Im achieving “birds” with limbs extended and pivoting at speed or with external pressure applied to the body.

My instructors are very interested in this and when may end up ordering a whole bunch of them. I hope they do, as I think its a great tool to help us find the state we seek to experience.

So thanks to the Muse team. Great first out edition, look forward to future improvements.

I’d be kinda surprised if this works, or at least works accurately while moving. With an app like Muse Monitor (no affiliation, just a fan and user), you can see huge jumps in the waves (primarily delta, IIRC) simply by moving eyes and otherwise sitting motionless. So the Muse is clearly picking up muscle movements in that case, and not brainwaves (or at least not primarily brainwaves). Same for other facial muscle movements (e.g. clenched jaw, raise eyebrows, etc).

Muse Monitor also has better feedback for which sensors are actually actively getting a signal. I wonder whether, in this case, “calmness” reported by the Muse app is merely a result of fewer sensors picking up data.

All that said, if it works for you, great. But Interaxon makes it pretty clear that it’s meant to be used in a seated, still position. I can only guess that’s because they’ve found through extensive testing that data obtained while moving will be less accurate, perhaps even bogus.