Meditation, ADHD, db, Muse Direct, Muse Monitor

Hi all,

I’m using Muse as a meditation tool, and will eventually use it as a tool for working with ADHD. I’ve got some questions pertaining to both Muse Monitor, and the meditation app. I’m a novice when it comes to brain waves, so please bear with me, and if you like to answer any of my questions, please do not use any jargon that would fly over the head of an 8 year old!

1. Let’s say that I’m interested in getting into the alpha mode through meditation, and use Muse Monitor as feedback. I’m watching the alpha wave and wonder what the difference is between the alpha graph behaving as a wave, and a straight line. Would the object of meditation be having it behave like an active wave, rather than a straight line?

2. I’m also wondering what the db numbers after the alpha means, when and why they rise or go down – are these numbers in relation to the numbers that are shown after the other waves, or do they have a value of their own? Would the object of meditation be having these numbers raising in relation to a previously established base-line (no meditation), or raising them in relation to the numbers of the other waves?

3. Does anyone know which brain waves are being worked at when childen with ADHD get to play computer games, that are dependent on them creating a certain brain wave activity?

4. Has anyone had any problems with connecting the Muse Headband to Muse Direct (windows 10)? Muse Direct finds the headband, but fails to connect. If so, how did you solve it?

5. Does Muse Direct work on its own, or is it dependent on any other software?

6. Can a saved meditation session in the Muse meditation app, be sent to any software that translates the session into brain waves? Like Muse Monitor does – but not in real time. I know that I can record a meditation session in Muse Monitor and use other software to look at it, but how about the Muse meditation app?

Thank you all! That’s all for now. Best regards!
Harry.

1. I’m not sure by what you mean by “behaving as a wave”. The general consensus on relaxation seems in my opinion to be high relative Alpha. So what you would be looking for is higher than average Alpha and/or lower other waves.

2. Each frequency is absolute, this means it’s measured individually and not affected by the other waves. The values represent the power spectral density of the wave, meaning the amount of brain activity in that frequency range. Based on EEG readings sent to me by Muse Monitor users, I believe you should be looking for high readings in Alpha and low readings in everything else for relaxation. Note, there are many conflicting theories on this and I am not an expert!

3. Not sure, sorry.

4. Many many people complain about this on the forum. Bluetooth on Mac/PC is terrible, out of 5 bluetooth USB 4 certified devices I bought online, only 1 works with my 2016 Muse and my 2018 Muse 2 works with none of them. This is the number one reason I’ve only released Muse Monitor for Android and iOS.

5. It’s independent, but you may need other software/websites to analyse your data. For Muse Monitor, on the website I provide an Excel macro or you can use the online charts.

6. I don’t think so. If Interaxon allowed this, it’s be pretty easy to figure out their relaxation algorithm and they’re keeping that a trade secret.

Thank you for your input Enigma! When I talk about a wave vs a straight line I am referring to how brain waves are being visualized in Muse Monitor. For example: when Theta is being visualized in Muse Monitor it moves erratically across the screen of my smartphone - up and down like a wave. When gamma is being visualized it moves across the screen more or less like a straight line - no downs or ups. Does less or more movement have a correlation with “db” or does it signify something else? Thank you again.

If waves are going up and down that means that is what is happening in your brain, I’m not doing anything special to the results :wink: If it goes up, you have more brain wave activity at that time, if it goes down, you have less. As to what that specifically means for ADHD, I don’t know, sorry! Relaxation wise, when relaxed you should see Alpha going up and everything else settling down lower with little variation if you’re super relaxed.

Ok. So a straight line in for example gamma means no activity in gamma. I can live with that - no activity in that particular frequenzy. So, if I would start having activity in gamma - the “db” number would go up and it would be visualized like a wave rather than a straight line. Am I correct?

The shape of the line doesn’t matter. The Db value matters.

Thank you.

Your questions are valid. I do not think you can compare the Muse to the EEG results obtained by a neurologist.

Once you are considering using the Muse to “treat ADHD” instead of aiding in mediation; you are on shaky ground.

Thank you for your feedback zohar. If you are diagnosed with adhd the ground is always shaky ;-). I don’t use Muse as a treatment for adhd - more as a feedback tool to see what different kinds of meditations does with my brain waves.