Muse app actual session time is longer then expected

Product:Muse App
Version:6.0.130
Platform:Android on Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

Description:While doing a 45 minute meditation

Expected behaviour:Should take 45 minutes clock time + 1 minute calibration

Actual behaviour:Takes about 53-55 minute from start of session (as shown on session list) to end of session.

Steps to reproduce:Perform a long 30+ minutes session an compare the difference of end an start times to the intended session length

I did a few tests and I’m seeing a similar bug.

Muse app 6.0.130 with feedback v. 3.3
Nexus 6P
Android 7.1.2

For the first test, I wrote down the session start and end times that were displayed in the upper-right corner of my phone.

Test 1
Selected session length: 30 minutes
Actual session length: around 35 minutes

For the next two tests, I timed the sessions with a stopwatch app on my laptop.

Test 2
Selected session length: 60 minutes
Actual session length: 68 minutes and 45 seconds

Test 3
Selected session length: 30 minutes
Actual session length: 35 minutes and 6 seconds

None of the actual session length times above include the calibration phase – I started timing right after she says, “Place your attention on your breath…now.”

This is a real issue. I sat down to a 30 minute session yesterday and after 35 minutes looked down at my iPhone to see that Muse had 14+ minutes left in the session. What’s the problem here? Why don’t the sessions use the system’s time?

I haven’t done any tests on iOS, but testing six sessions with the two most recent versions of the Android app (v.5 and v.6) showed an average timing error of 13.9%, which means each minute tracked by the app is actually around 68 seconds. Not as bad as what you’re experiencing, but this does happen in every session and it happens with both the 2014 headband and the 2016 headband.

A symptom of the problem is easy to see: If I watch my phone’s screen during a session, after 15 seconds the app freezes for about two seconds and then stutters for a few more seconds. This freeze/stutter repeats every 30 seconds for the remainder of the session.

Are you (or anyone else reading this) seeing something similar? I think I know what’s causing the problem, but I’m not completely sure.

Update: Three days ago I deleted the app and reinstalled. After several sessions I feel that the timing issues have been resolved. I haven’t had a recurrence.

This bug still hasn’t been fixed in the version 7.0 app for Android update released yesterday (December 28, 2017).

As I mentioned in my previous post, you can see a symptom of this bug by watching your phone’s screen during a session, where the app will freeze and stutter starting 15 seconds into a session then repeat this behavior every 30 seconds for the remainder of the session.

In the version 7 update, this is slightly improved: the app still freezes for two seconds every 30 seconds but there’s no subsequent stuttering.

Tested with the Rainforest and City Park soundscapes.

Android 8.0.0 with the latest security update

This bug still hasn’t been fixed in the version 7.1 app for Android update released today (January 30, 2018).

Android 8.1.0 with the latest security update

This bug still hasn’t been fixed in the version 7.2 app for Android update released yesterday (February 7, 2018).

Android 8.1.0 with the latest security update