Muse does not respond to pairing/etc. button commands as I expect

I just got a Muse a few days ago and, having tried it with my iPhone, am very excited to start developing with it. I downloaded the SDK today and wanted to get MuseLab up and running. Based upon the documentation and what I have read here, I should hold the power button on my Muse for 5s until “all five lights flash.”

This does not happen. The power button, from an off state, immediately responds to touch (OnButtonDown =P) and begins scrolling back and forth, a sort of oscillating light. It does not change no matter when I release. If I hold for ~15s, it turns semi-opaque but solid until I release. At no point has it ever shown up in the Bluetooth discover settings section of either of my two MacBook Pros (2012, 2015).

It appears to me that the UX on my muse headband is not what is expected by the documentation of Muse SDK. Is this accurate?

From what you describe, it sounds like you have a Muse 2016 headband. If you check your headband and the power button has a power symbol on it and there is only 1 micro USB port, then it is the 2016 version. The 2014 headband has 2 USB ports and a blank power button. Sorry, I know the documentation on the website is lacking in this regard.

MuseLab is compatible with the Muse 2016 headband, but unfortunately muse-io, which is used to connect the headband to the desktop, is not compatible at this time.

There are a few third party applications that will allow you to connect a Muse 2016 headband to an iOS or Android device and then stream the data from the device to the desktop. Muse Monitor is one application that has been recommended for this by various people on the forum.

If you want to develop directly on the iOS or Android platforms, the LibMuse SDK is compatible with both Muse 2014 and Muse 2016 headbands. There is an example application included in those downloads that shows how to connect and stream data from the headbands.

Regarding the headband not showing up in the Bluetooth settings menu, the Muse 2016 headband uses the Bluetooth Low Energy protocol which removes the need to pair the headband before establishing the connection. Holding down the power button for 5 seconds on a Muse 2014 headband causes the headband to enter “pairing mode” but since Muse 2016 doesn’t need to pair first, holding down the power button for 5 seconds does nothing. In order to connect to the Muse 2016 headband to an iOS or Android device all you need to do is turn the headband on and have the device request a connection through your application.

I am also having this issue. I have the latest Muse headband with only one USB port, and i cannot get the my brand new headband to connect to my iPhone 7 (iOS 10). When can we expect an update?

The Muse 2016 headband should be compatible with iOS 10 and the iPhone 7. Are you able to connect to the headband with the Muse application?