MUSE for an artistic perfromance: last clarifications before purchase

Hi there,

my name is Alberto Novello, and I’m an artist, developing performances using EEG sensors (www.jestern.com), so far I used Emotiv but I’m very dissatisfied with connectivity and data.
I imaginds by now there must be something better out there.
I have couple of questions before purchasing the Muse, which I find very interesting.

It’s not entirely clear for me if:

1- I can use the muse on Mac computers in real time. In particular I need to acquire the raw EEG signal as OSC.

2- Do I need a particular license for that or just the basic package gives that? So with around 300 euros/dollars I should be able to collect real time raw data on my Mac.

3- Can I connect two Muse at the same time? And receive individual data, I can even use two computers although, if I could use only one, that would be ideal.

4- What distance could the Muse stream the data to and what protocol does it use? The Emotiv is very jittery/break up the connection and it’s unreliable for performances. I need something that I could even extend with cables/networks (in case of large surfaces), but it’s stable.

Thanks a lot for your help.

That looks like pretty cool stuff!

Some answers to your questions:

1. It’s complicated, you can get streaming data in OSC format from the Mac research tools SDK, but so far the tools have not been updated to work with the newest version of the Muse. If you are able to get the older, 2014 model of the Muse or wait until the update comes then you will be able to stream data easily.

2. Unlike Emotiv, you don’t need an expensive license.

3. Yes, you can connect multiple muses! There’s a good on how to do it here

4. I’m not so sure about this one, but I’ve been able to cross a room without losing connection to my Muse. One good thing about the new Muse is that, because it uses Bluetooth Low Energy, it may have a larger signal range.

What I am able to do so far that may be relevant to you is this:

Using a MU-02 (one USB port, Bluetooth LE, current model). iMac running Mac OS Sierra (10.12). iPad Air running IOS 10.2.1

To connect with MuseLab on the Mac, I use the Muse Monitor app by James Clutterbuck. It streams the muse signal in OSC format over wifi from my iPad.

In Quartz Composer, the OSC Receiver patch doesn’t work, but a third party patch, qcOSC, does.

https://hexler.net/software/qcosc

Quartz Composer is supported by Apple anymore as you may know, but they still make it available with XCode.