Muse-io + Muse 2016 Headband?

Hi there, I just received by Muse 2016 headband and didn’t realize the difference in terms of my intended use at the time of purchase. I am interested in using it with muse-io on my Windows 10 machine, in order to receive OSC messages in Muse Lab. After browsing this forum, I realize only the Muse 2014 can do this at the moment…

Is there a representative from Muse that may point me to a beta or anything I could try for the time being, while the muse-io + 2016 support is being worked on?

I appreciate any help!

The only way right now is to use Muse Monitor’s OSC streaming via your mobile device. Or you can use the Windows developer SDK to write your own connector if you know C#.Net.

If you don’t mind using LSL and it’s family of tools for EEG processing you can check out this hacky project to decode Muse 2016 data

Is there a timeline for when the Muse-io for the 2016 Headband is to be released?

This is really disappointing. As a developer, my product relies on being able to receive OSC data from the headband. Seems like the sort of basic functionality that should be intact before a new release is made.

Muse Monitor costs $10. Are there any free options out there for getting OSC data into a computer?

I explored and couldn’t find much else aside from Muse Monitor. I ended up purchasing it, but haven’t had luck receiving the OSC messages in MuseLab as I intended. I am extremely underwhelmed with my experience with Muse, and I echo your concern about ensuring the product is “ready” before it comes to market. I purchased my Muse with very limited research funds, and so far, it seems like I may be a ways away from actually using it as I intended

To use OSC streaming with Muse Monitor, first make sure your phone is on the same Wifi network as your Mac/PC.

In Muse Monitor settings, enter the “OSC server IP” as the local network IP of your Mac/PC.

The you just have to run Muse Lab and press the streaming button in Muse Monitor. To make things easier, I have prepared this MuseLab config file which sets up all the visualizers and automatically starts listening on the default port UDP5000.

If you have any problems with streaming, the first thing to check is that both devices are on the same network. You should also note that some Universities and Work networks block UDP traffic, so if you have made sure your firewall is setup correct and are still getting no data though, check with your local IT staff that they are not blocking it!

If you work for Muse, I would think you would have to since you know the connector, you want to make 14 bucks after we have spent $230 on the damn headband. I would rather close my eyes and pick a go fund me.

So are you suggesting we copy this config file and load it from within Muselab? if so does this replace the line of code " muse-player.exe -f musedata-muse -s osc.udp://localhost:5000 " within the command prompt? my problem is after the one line code in the command prompt… I get several lines back and one includes “file not found musedata-muse” and within my window of MuseLab where the graphs are to be shown… I just get a flickering black screen in that area.

You need to run Muse Player separately to Muse Lab.
Unfortunately Interaxon didn’t give Muse Lab a “Load Recording” option, instead it listens to the network for it’s data stream.
Muse Player provides that stream.

So:

1. Load Muse Lab. Then Either:
  • Setup Muse Lab to listen on UDP port 5000 and set up all your visualizers. OR
  • Just load the config file I provided.
  1. Run Muse Player from the command line with muse-player.exe -f musedata.muse -s osc.udp://localhost:5000

Ok… looks like I may have mistyped that file name using the " -" instead of the “.” character. I’ll try it. Thanks!

I’m still getting back… " File Not Found: musedata.muse" within the command prompt, everything else works I’m guessing. Your script loaded fine. The wifi network is the same, the computer and the phone are paired… and I do see numbers changing under incoming messages on the OSC screen so it appears it’s receiving data… I appreciate all your help so far… like others I was hoping to use this for research and your app seems to be working for others… I’m not a developer or coder so maybe I’m still missing one step… somewhere.

You need to put in the full path to the place where you saved your recording. e.g.
muse-player.exe -f "c:\users\James\documents\recordings\musedata.muse" -s osc.udp://localhost:5000

this is strictly streaming as well as streaming/recording as it’s listed on your app? I’ll find the path and try it… thanks!

If you’re streaming, you don’t need to use Muse Player at all.

Muse Player is just for playing back recordings.

Ok… it did fix the file not found problem…, sent the data of a recorded file that your app named and provided me with the path. I found it and used that path within the command. It worked fine. However, my screen still flickers. So I must not have something else set right… or my system doesn’t meet the requirements for the graphics… not sure. I’ll keep working it… and thanks greatly for your assistance.

I agree, all Muse 2016 devices should come with a big label warning users that Muse-io is not available (and it may never be, to be honest).

That said, I can collect data using Muse Monitor on an Android device. I usually stream the data to a PC running MuseLab (mostly for display purposes), but it could all happen on the Android device.

In sum, yes, it is suboptimal, plus there is a certain marketing misleading (the ads make you assume that the io tools are available for the latest Muse version; why shouldn’t they?). However, it is not a killer, and you can still use your Muse for simple research projects or pilot data.

Cheers.

I have just purchased a Muse so hopefully I will receive it in a couple of weeks. There shouldn’t be any reason why a version of Muse-IO compatible with the Muse 2016 model isn’t available. Muse knows their product better than anyone so why is there such a delay in producing it. And personally, I would like to see a version of the SDK in the form of a DLL.

for muse IO this could be a solution