Muse Port: A Max for Live device that streams Muse data in Ableton Live

I’m just going to leave this here…

DESCRIPTION

Muse Port is an interface device that allows streaming of the data collected by Interaxon’s brainwave-sensing Muse headband (http://www.choosemuse.com/) directly into Ableton Live. Five brainwave frequencies, three axes of accelerometer data, blink and jaw clench detection can all be graphed in real time along with your midi and audio recordings, as well as mapped to control any Live parameter.

To begin, get your headband connected via bluetooth and install the SDK available at https://sites.google.com/a/interaxon.ca/muse-developer-site/home. Don’t worry about Muse Player or Muse Lab, Muse Port needs a UDP connection so just go to a command prompt and enter

muse-io --device-search Muse --osc osc.udp://localhost:5000 --preset 14 --dsp

As long as you haven’t changed the name of your headband from the default ‘Muse’ and UDP port 5000 is available, data will be streaming into Muse Port once this goes through.

The current UDP port, remaining battery life and the connection quality of the four sensors are all displayed in the top portion of the device. If there are one or more flashing circles in the headband-shaped icon, adjust the Muse on your head until all four sensors are reading well.

Mouse over any of the numbered outputs along the bottom and a popup window will appear which displays a graph of the data streaming through it. Click along the wire leading to the numbered output to hold this popup in place. You may now select options in the popup itself.

Sensor Mode

Brainwave readings from the four sensors of the Muse can either be averaged as they arrive in the device or the highest can be used and the rest discarded.

Hone Range

Sometimes it can be useful to hone the range of the incoming data, in order to magnify its effect. If selected, the device will monitor readings and use only the highest and lowest it’s seen to set the limits of the data stream, rather than the absolute full range of the sensor. The duration of this monitored history can be set via the Memory Span control in the settings.

Clicking and dragging anywhere else in the popup will change the scaling of the graph. Click again on the wire to allow the popup to close.

If you click on one of the numbered outputs itself a menu will appear. This menu displays all of the current mappings. Click ‘Map New…’ and then click on any enabled parameter anywhere in Live and it will be remote controlled by the data leaving the output. You can simultaneously map to up to four parameters per output. After a mapping has been assigned, you can click on its name in this menu to disconnect and remove it.

Any of the data outputs may also be mapped through the main audio channel of the device itself. Click on the triangle-shaped input on the left and a menu will appear which lists all of the available connections.

Alternatively, you may also map the actual audio signal passing through the device to any parameter you wish by clicking on the triangle-shaped output on the right.

Click on the Muse Port logo to open up the settings menu.

Memory Span

For parameters with Hone Range selected, the device will look this many seconds into the past when determining the limits of its output range.

Unlimited Memory Span

The Memory Span will be as long as the time from when this, or the individual parameter’s Hone Range control was selected.

Automate Parameters

The most convenient way to record Muse data in Live is to automate the parameter in question, thereby graphing it right along with your audio or MIDI recording in the arrangement view track. However, this unconventional strategy has its drawbacks. Namely the undo history will be compromised as it will perpetually fill while recording, which can be quite resource intensive both in terms of RAM and disk usage. Use with caution.

Included in this download is a small companion device which generates midi notes based on an input stream. So for example, you could hone the range of the Relative Y-Axis Position output and send it to the Midi Generator to create a beat by nodding your head. Click here for the full description: https://sellfy.com/p/ns3f/.

UPDATE:

Version 1.1 beta

Dear Muse Port patrons,
Since getting this device into working order, I’ve been using it while playing music to empirically search for correlations between recognizable brain wave signatures and things like steady rhythm, etc… That being said, it wasn’t until last week that I noticed that a new version of the SDK (SDKv3.0.x, see https://sites.google.com/a/interaxon.ca/muse-developer-site/release-notes) has been available for about a month. The changes they made to the osc paths in this new version will render the Muse Port as you bought it inoperable. I’ve thrown together a version which will work with the latest SDK, and will also take advantage of some of the new measurements they added, such as absolute vs. relative brainwaves, as well as Concentration and Mellow scores (see https://sites.google.com/a/interaxon.ca/muse-developer-site/museio/osc-paths/osc-paths---v3-6-0#TOC-Experimental).

This Version 1.1 is also included in this download as a separate file.

Please be aware that this version is strictly beta; you may notice a funky thing here or there, but all the original functionality should be intact. In addition if you click on the Muse Port logo you will see that streaming data (and therefore mapping it) must be turned on and is not on by default. Note that the five standard brainwaves report absolute values, whereas before they reported relative session values, and now there are five separate relative brainwave parameters which can be automated (graphed). The two experimental scores Concentration and Mellow can also be automated. If you’re savvy with Max for Live, you can access the data that is Retained In History by using a [coll ii-history] object; this is how I’ve been doing my experimentation.
Of course if you want to use the Muse Port version you purchased, you can always just install the old SDK (which is included in this download) and use it with that. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

To the Sun

Wow cool! Can’t wait to try it out and make some rad music with Muse.

And once we release LibMuse for desktop platforms you’ll be able to use this without needing MuseIO!

That would be great, is there an ETA on that yet?

Hey. Thanks for this app, saving me heaps of brainache… I think I’m connected but I don’t seem to have any data streaming in. Can you help?

If you click on the Muse Port logo are the boxes in the Stream in Real Time column selected?

I think so yes …

From your screenshot it does look like you are getting data streaming in, because the circles along the bottom labeled 1 through 10 are not all black.

I notice that you’re using Max 7 and the pop-up windows are all gray rather than displaying the graph they should. This was brought to my attention recently as something that happens in 7, and I have just sent out an update to fix it. Also included in this update is the ability to stream the Concentration and Mellow readings and map them to Live parameters, whereas before they could only be graphed via automation.

Thank you. Where can I get the MAX7 update please?

You should’ve got an email from sellfy.com with a download link in the update I sent out just before making my last post on this forum. If you didn’t get it just private message me your email address, and I’ll get it to you.

I sent you a PM with my e mail in. Could you send through to me please? Apologies if you’ve already tried, I’ve had some e mail issues but it should be fixed now if you could resend.

Sorry for the delay. I was expecting to get an email to notify me when I got your private message, but I didn’t. I’ll respond to your message momentarily.

I wonder if you could send it again please? I’ve had some problems with my e mail this week. Thanks

Sure but I searched my records at both sellfy.com and PayPal and I couldn’t find a purchase under the email address you gave me. Was that the one you used to purchase the device?

Hello to_the_sun,

Thanks for the making this cool device. I must say that it is one of the reasons why I chose Muse. However I am not able to try it.

After I received the headband, I realized Muse IO does not support Muse 2016 headbands - a big disappointment. Currently I can’t establish a bluetooth connection between my Mac and Muse. The only way to do this is to use Muse Monitor app.

Any chance to get the osc data into your device/patch via this app?

Thank you

That is surprising and disappointing. You’d think they’d get all their ducks in a row (as they say) before releasing a new version of the headband.

I’m not familiar with Muse Monitor, but if it sends out OSC Muse Port will be able to receive it. All you should have to do is make sure both are set to the same port (and nothing else is).

Out of interest, did the 2016 headset issue ever get resolved?

It did for Windows with the release of Muse Direct, their replacement for Muse IO. An OSx version is apparently still in the works.

So is there anyway to use your M4L device with a Mac.
Or a way to use the 2016 headset with OSC?

Basically want to have a play, I have Max and Ableton, but was looking for a 'How to’
Any info is really appreciated

You can still use Muse Monitor as a middleman on your mobile device (musemonitor.com). It will get the OSC to a Mac.

Thanks t_t_s :slight_smile:
I’ll have look at Muse Port in the next week or so https://sellfy.com/p/oBgM/