Muse Servers Unreachable

As of today, Muse servers are unreachable for me on my iPhone 6S. I noticed another user suffered from this exact issues back on the 10th, but they did not get any replies. I am hoping my own thread here will not suffer a similar fate. This happened shortly after the app was updated, so I am pretty sure this might have something to do with it. I tried reinstalling the app, but to no avail.

Likewise - I have also been unable to reach the muse servers since upgrading to the latest version a few minutes ago, nor has re-installing the app done any good.

I’m having the exact same issue using an iPhone 7, iOS 11.4. When I try to open the Muse app, the screen appears black for a few moments, and then takes me to the login screen. When I choose my account and enter my password, it loads for a moment then tells me the Muse servers are unreachable and to try again later. FWIW, the app appears to have been updated today. I have not tried reinstalling the app or rolling back to the previous version.

Same issue here. iPad Air2. Power cycling it also brought ‘no joy’.

App Store App says app updated automatically 23 hours ago. Last night around 5-6PM EDT I did a 20 minute session with no issues(at the same time didn’t notice any look and feel changes though).

“Demo Sessions” appear to be available but they only go 1.5minutes

Hazarding a guess I would say that their Servers are currently having an issue but I’m a little perturbed that this is still going on 8 hours later judging from this forum thread. That might indicate that they have no ‘monitoring’ allocated from their hosting provider, are(hopefully) currently running around frantically trying to solve it or they simply don’t care.

Hopefully these posts are not headed for “Wally’s Pile of Perpetual Ignorance”

I do understand all our frustrations. I always connect in the mornings and am so disappointed I have the same problems mentioned on my Apple 6s - server unreachable. Let’s all take a deep breath, perform an imaginary Muse session, live in the now without Muse, and enjoy our wondrous lives. Love you!

I also cannot log in because of Muse servers unreachable! When will this problem be fixed? Has anyone heard from customer service?

I just managed to sign in with my iPhoneX and do a 10 minute session. But my iPad Air 2 still can’t “sign in.”

To me this suggests a few things…

• Their server(s) were downgraded to one that can’t handle the load(Bean counters love to say “Well if our servers are only 80% utilized maybe we can get rid of 1or2 of them… let’s see what happens.”)
  • Their load balancing maybe out of wack or non-existent
  • There’ s a timeout in the updated app that’s been set too aggressively.

In any of the above cases I may have just “gotten lucky” with the iPhone and been 1 who just managed to squeeze through the door.

UPDATE:

I called my girlfriend who’s studying at my house. She ‘signed in’ with her iPhone7 BUT we have a 1gigabit (Fios) connection at the house. I’m at work and only have my iPad’s cell modem and only 1 bar of service.

I was on their beta testing list and the last couple of betas had this problem which I could fix by just downloading the app from the app store. If this isn’t fixed soon then my 850 day in a row streak is gone.

My streak was patched back together after the last glitch. When I was able to access my account once more I took my device offline, changed the device’s date back to the first date with a missing entry, did a minimum session to have data, repeated the date change / min session steps for the two other missing dates, changed back to the current date, put the device back online. The Muse app filled the missing bits in for my streak as it reached it’s reachable servers.

Thanks for the patch. Hoping they’ll get their stuff together and I won’t have to do that but it’s nice knowing that it won’t end due to their incompetence.

Here’s hoping too! However, that last glitch I mentioned was somewhere in the summer of 2016 when Muse wasn’t dating the results records with the day’s date, but with some other date. That device-date-dance might not work with after the “unreachable” glitch clears, but I’ll give it another shot if I need to.

Well if they end up breaking it then they can fix it for me. In any case I’ll do 20 minutes without Muse to keep the streak alive.

The iPod Touch has now logged into my account and is updating my recent Muse result records. I’ll post another status update soon…

All my Muse result records from the iPod Touch have been copied to the cloud. Did a 2 minute Muse session test. AOK. At the end of the session, I marked in a Journal entry. Couldn’t access it though. On the iPad, needed to reinstall the app to get the log in process to begin. The iPad has now logged into my account and shows all the updated Muse result records. Did a 2 minute Muse session test. AOK. At the end of the session, I marked in a Journal entry. Couldn’t access it though. How’s everyone else coming along with this glitch?

I can connect and do sessions from my home WiFi(1gb Fios). However at work it fails consistently and did not before the ‘upgrade’. At work I have to use the iPad’s cell modem which is getting 1 bar of LTE(~4G) service.

I strongly suspect that the ‘upgrade’ to the muse App was NOT thoroughly tested on slow/bad net connections. It was tested as any intern tends to test, under the most ideal of circumstances from the WiFi in their parent’s house.

When I get into work tomorrow I strongly suspect that this ‘downgrade’ will be failing again.

HINT:

See if you can’t get the Web app to be a bit more forgiving of slow/bad connections. And give some serious thought to the notion of ‘online/connected’ to begin with. I’ve always found the App’s notion of ‘online’ to be a bit ‘suspect’ with regard to modern network/web paradigms.

Update (29 Aug 0730)

Came into work, can get into the muse app on my ipad, all options available but says I’m ‘offline’. Same with iPhone but I can run a session. However, signed off on the iPhone and when I tried to sign in again I get the ‘muse servers unreachable’.

I think the update process signed people off. Historically the app has always had an issue with slow/bad connections that has been ignored by its developers.

Question

IF you’re having this issue, could you please post what kind of a connection you have? (E.g. WiFi => broadband, 3G/4G and average number of ‘bars’, dialup, starbucks)

Update #2 (29 Aug)

Went to do another session on my iPad. Found that somehow I had been ‘signed out’. On attempting to get back in got “muse servers unavailable.” I hope the the developers of the IOS version of the muse app are aware that in IOS if your app is ‘backgrounded’ you can be terminated at any time.

I suspect that when the updated app is terminated whoever was signed into it is implicitly/explicitly signed out. When(if) I ever get back in I may try to validate this by force-quitting the app and see if it requires me to sign back in.

Going forward though I see this as a major problem, particularly for users that are trying to use Muse on a bad/slow connection. In the prior version a bad/slow connection was a minor annoyance but at least sessions were not blocked.

Just a bit of an update on my end. I was finally able to log into Muse and do a meditation session. Sadly though it seems to have missed the day and I had lost my massive streak.

Check out earlier in this thread where Syanover mentioned about “my 850 day in a row streak” and I mentioned that “My streak was patched back together after the last glitch.” You could try the device-date-dance where: " I took my device offline, changed the device’s date back to the first date with a missing entry, did a minimum session to have data, repeated the date change / min session steps for the two other missing dates, changed back to the current date, put the device back online. The Muse app filled the missing bits in for my streak as it reached it’s reachable servers."
Best of luck!

My “force Muse to online mode” Fix: I have had this Muse offline issue, namely orange banners instead of green banners, flaky updating, flaky past session result record viewing, etc repeatedly since Day One, regardless of the device. However, when I do need to have the green banners, I tell Muse to begin to download a soundscape. Initiating this soundscape download call seems to perk Muse up, the download begins, and the banners go green. I don’t bother waiting around for the download to complete, I just go back to the screen I need to use with Muse in “online mode” (if MuseHQ calls it that, I’m not sure !?! ) Try that soundscape call and let me know. Perhaps MuseHQ could put a “Pulse WiFi Connection” button (or something along those lines) in the Settings Page, configured with the routine initiated at that download soundscape call, but I’m not sure of that either.

The orange banners have always been just a minor nuisance to me. At least they don’t block you from doing a session. If you check the last update I posted, my current thinking is that this updated app signs you out whenever IOS terminates it.

THEN when you try to ‘sigin-in’ through a slow/bad connection it fails, get onto a ‘good connection’ and you’re good to go.

I suspect an overly aggressive timeout in the mobile app or server has been in there for a while. The sign-out though I think is new.