Muse versus Emwave device

I don’t agree in the least with you two. I find after only a few days that I am calmer after I have sat down and played my guitar in the evening than when I get up in the morning and am well rested. Maybe it’s because I’m thinking too much of the day ahead
At any rate I am showing improvement every day. Up to 70% calm tonight and I felt zoned out too. I don’t see how measuring heart rate can be a good measure of brain activity which is what the Muse monitors. From what I have read the Email isn’t all that accurate.

Sometime people over think this stuff. I get my best results when I’ve been doing something I enjoy.

It depends what you are monitoring and why you are monitoring it. Muse claims to help with meditation by monitoring brainwaves.

This sounds admirable, but their secret algorithm (why is it a secret?) seems to bear no resemblance to anything. It just appears to be random. For example, put on your Muse and walk around the room. Then sit still for five minutes. Then stand on your head for a minute. Then jog on the spot. Then watch a horror movie. Then watch a Disney film. Whilst you are doing this don’t listen, just let it monitor you.

At the end of this process you will be amazed that you had birds tweeting whilst you were stood on your head and watching a horror movie and nothing whilst relaxing or watching a Disney film. Maybe it will vary for you - it varies for everyone - but the pattern I’ve found is that there is no pattern. So you can have a good session with no tweets and a shockingly bad session with constant tweeting.

The cool thing about HRV is that it is totally measurable and it is NOT a secret. There are no secret algorithms, just hard core researcher from many prestigious organisations that clearly recognize the connection between HRV and relaxation and meditative states. In my experience, the HRV devices I have used seem way more accurate than the Muse device.

I so wanted the Muse device to work well for me, but alas, it is just too flakey.

I think it has huge potential, but the current software is not up to the job and Muse don’t seem to be in the slightest bit interested in improving it, which is such a shame, and isn’t fair on the people who invested in it.

I own a Muse and stopped using it because I could easily fool its and as people have found it is a scam as it does not really help with meditation. The reason is this:

All it monitors is the state at which you started the meditation and then works out a relative position of what it things calm looks like.That is why teh results vary all over the place and the birds chirping means nothing because everything is just reflective.

Waste of money and then should pull the product, in any other country they would be had up for false advertising.