Muse Visualization for Mac OS

Hi,

I’m just getting familiar with Muse. I’d like to know if there’s any software, MAC compatible, which could help in visualisation of live data from the headband. I believe I’m looking for a ZeoScope-like software for MAC.

You can use

I have no experience with Zeo-Scope. Perhaps it will run in VMWare Fusion, then you could run it in a virtual machine.

If you install the SDK, note that in step 2.4, the commands should look like this (there is no /usr/local hierarchy on the Mac) :

sudo C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib python setup.py build
sudo python setup.py install

You also might want to make sure that these lines are in your .bash_profile
export PATH="$PATH:/Applications/Muse"
[SIZE=13px]export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13px]export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13px]export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH:/Applications/Muse"

–tom[/SIZE]

Hi Tom,

I cannot seem to get Muse connecting to BrainwaveOSC. But it does connect with muse-io. I did change the settings.xml to connect to the device name Muse and port 5000. Do you have any pointer as to what I am doing wrong?

Dammas

Sorry, I just realized that BrainwaveOSC only works with the Neurosky Mindwave (I have both a Mindwave and a MUSE). I know that MuseLab works and the Processing script I mentioned as I have tried them both. The source code for the Processing script is available.

Ok too bad though since i am looking exactly for something like Brainwave OSC. What are the differences between Mindwave and Muse according to you?

The combination of muse-io plus Muse Lab or the processing script provides info similar to brainwave OSC. I was just using brainwaveOSC as a conduit for the data into other programs.

The Mindwave uses a single contact point on the forehead and an earclip.

The MUSE uses 7 contact points – 5 along the forehead and 2 ear contacts : https://sites.google.com/a/interaxon.ca/muse-developer-site/muse-hardware. In my understanding of the MUSE, since there are more contacts, the headset can calibrate the signals to a baseline to provide more accurate info.

In my experience, the MUSE seems to give a better translation between brain activity and the data that is generated, though the Mindwave is much less expensive. I purchased my Mindwave from eBay for about $80. There is a lot more software for the Mindwave, it has been around longer. Most of the Mindwave uses seem to be oriented to relaxation or meditation.

I have been using these devices for a music project, and am learning as I go (including the science of BCI)

Hope that helps.

–tom

Hi,

So, There is no visualisation software for the Muse headset waves that indicates active or passive waves for MacOS?

Thanks Tom,well explained. For me I am looking to compare brainstates in different situations and how see how they can be influenced. But I guess I need to understand the neuroscience behind it a bit better.

For those who have patience to watch a playlist of 65 videos on YouTube, I believe that this is a good source of information on neuroscience and BCI. I started with Lecture 2: EEG Basics.

Comming from SCCN of UCSD shoud be a trustable source. They also have some open source software: EEGLAB and BCILAB that maybe will work with Muse soon (but from what I’ve seen they need MATLAB installed … that unfortunately is not free)

Published in 07/31/2013
Introduction to Modern Brain-Computer Interface Design - Christian A. Kothe
Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience, University of California San Diego

I have started watching these same videos, Eduardo. They are pretty good so far.

–tom

I am reading the suggested book on Brain Rhythms. It is not easy to read. I guess I understand 20% only but I can keep up with the main themes. A lot I also think (or hope) is not required to understand fully.

dammas - that book is not introductory at all (I checked it out from the campus library). I would watch the videos first. They would be much more relevant anyway.
–tom