Muse vs. Emotiv Insight

Hi,
I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on comparisons between the Muse (which i recieved yesterday) and Emotiv’s Insight (http://emotiv.com/insight.php),

[update]
and Neurosky

For the moment… a lot more apps:)

Hopefully that changes soon.

Additionally, the insight will not likely be shipped for another 3-6 months however their Epoc is terrific but more of a pain to use (requires wetting, but a lot more sensors.

NeuroSky is much easier to use (no wetting, just wearing) and lots of software/apps available.

I’m sure things will improve app wise with time.

Is the SDK for Emotiv Insight easier to install? I want to handle the data in Muse on laptop, but the SDK installation seems very complicated…

I can’t speak to the SDK of Emotiv, but with regards to the install for the SDK for Muse. You really only need to run the one executable to get live streaming up and running. The additional steps are only required for the use of Muse-Player which is meant to replay recorded data. For live experiences you should be able to get streaming data fairly quickly.

Just install from here:

Run the installation wizard and then you can navigate to the installation folder and run muse-io to connect and muse-lab to view live streams. The communication is all done through OSC.

Additionally, we’ve provided a couple of examples of OSC receivers for the developer community to connect directly into iOS and Android.

They are public git repositories, you can download through git or as a zip file.

You can now find their links here:
https://sites.google.com/a/interaxon…pageReverted=3

In the Mac install instructions, I made it through step 2.3. The instructions on the developers site for Mac OS X for step 2.4 are not right. (following) -----
sudo C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/include LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib python setup.py build
sudo python setup.py install

I’m running Mac OS 10.9.5. There are no /usr/local/include or /usr/local/lib directories, even after the SDK install. There isn’t even a /usr/local. The instructions look like multiple steps all piled into one.

My default shell is bash, running python 2.7.5 (default on Mac) :

toms-mbp:pyliblo-0.9.2 tomkarches$ echo $0
-bash
I think we should be using the export command to set environment variables.

Also, the error I get when installing pyliblo would indicate to me that the INCLUDE path is not set correctly. Since these are not set to the right paths, this makes sense. Now I need to find where the correct directories are. Perhaps someone else can chime in here.

–tom

I do not develop for MAC OS, but no doubt that page MacOS Install on the developers site is wrong (as many other pages there, not to say about a lot of outdated info).
Seems to me that the first line should be broked into 3 separeted command lines, like this:

sudo C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/include
sudo LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
sudo python setup.py build
sudo python setup.py install

Also, if there’s no /usr/local/… directories, may be they are inside another directory from root, perhaps something like /pyliblo/usr/local/ … HTH

Eduardo,

I think I need to set the C_INCLUDE_PATH in the .bash_profile file in my home directory. Otherwise, a shell is invoked, the value is set and then the shell closes. These values need to be persistent (I think). Including what I did in case someone else is reading (or stuck).

I’m pretty sure the directory paths should look like this in the .bash_profile (as there is no /usr/local on the Mac) export PATH="$PATH:/Applications/Muse"
[SIZE=13px]export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13px]export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib
export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH:/Applications/Muse"

Two of those lines are already in the .bash_profile

So, now when I build pyliblo, I get this error :[/SIZE]

[B]src/liblo.c:314:10: [/B][B]fatal error: [/B][B]‘lo/lo.h’ file not found[/B]
#include “lo/lo.h”
[B] ^[/B]
1 error generated.
error: command ‘cc’ failed with exit status 1

This directory/file is in the liblo-0.28 directory which is in a “Muse_SDK” directory along with “pyliblo-0.9.2”

It looks like directories are expected to be in certain places, but the libraries (liblo, pyliblo) can be downloaded and saved anywhere so I can see why it would not work.

In other news, looks like muse-io is working now. Some progress.
[SIZE=13px]–tom[/SIZE]

Just wanted to update this topic so any readers coming across it are up to speed: the SDK has since been updated and now ships as a standalone installer. No need to manually configure your path, the installer should take care of everything.

We highly recommend that you use the latest version of the SDK. Anything you have built to interact with the older versions will work just fine with the latest version.

You can download it here: https://sites.google.com/a/interaxon.ca/muse-developer-site/download

thanks for the update tom, i’ll give the new version a shot and see if it works on anything.

for the OP, my opinion is that hardware wise, muse is a subtler device so would be preferred if it wasn’t for the complete focus on calm which keeps it useless. the hardware benefits disappear if you consider there are no mobile libs. what is the point of subtle if you are going to be sitting in front of your computer to use it? i am aware that some are coming “one day” but based on the quality of the SDK (note that i haven’t tried the latest version yet), i am not expecting anything usable. on the other hand, i have found emotiv licensing fees to be ridiculous but their software is much more mature and usable (they have been at it for 8 years). i am looking forward to other players coming into this market so we have an option 3 as neither device is third party developer friendly.

btw, just became aware of this and i would need to consult a lawyer to confirm but i suspect calm sending back usage information (as apparent from the survey i got after not using it for a while) may count as transmitting medical information to a server outside australia which would be illegal regardless of any terms and conditions. i recommend you guys check with yours, we have very strict rules around medical data of any form over here and you are collecting information on how often i use an EEG (along with whatever else calm might be sending back)!