Obtaining an auxiliary sensor

I purchased a Muse to do a BCI demo that leverages machine learning. I’d like to use SMR (imagined movement) as input but the Muse doesn’t seem to have enough sensors or sensitivity to pick it up. Can I attach an auxiliary sensor for use over the sensorimotor cortex? I have a Muse 2016 (one micro USB port).

If an auxiliary sensor is supported, please advise what types and where best to get them.

Thanks,
James Weaver
Twitter: @JavaFXpert

You can make your own auxiliary sensor by connecting up pin 4 on the micro usb (2016 model only). Just solder a wire directly to a 13mm female nickel snap, then you can connect to any standard electrode with a male snap connector.

I’ve used this myself to get heart rate showing on Muse Monitor (enable AUX in settings).

Hi,

I have a EKG cable 2-leds conected to the aux port at MUSE boa micro-USB. However, the signal in the Muse Monitor doesn’t appear a ekg signal. Do you know how I can extract R-R intervals from it?
Thank you in advance.
Roger

I don’t know what that cable is. Can you post the specifications please.

Hi,

thank you for your response.
Here is a picture of the cable. It has 3-ekg elctrodes and a micro-usb to conect to MUSE. I am using MUSe monitor to record data, but I do not know how to extract R-R intervals from this data.
Roger

You can only have one sensor. The single wire electrode needs to be attached to pin 4. What is the wiring on this?

In the Muse Monitor settings you can show AUX-R by selecting “Show Aux input” under the “Raw EEG Graph Settings”.
Note that this is only possible on the MU-02 Muse (2016 version with one USB port).

When you record or stream data the AUX-R port data will be included and then you can perform any processing on it you like.

Thank you so much for this information. So, don’t I need to have a positive, a negative and a reference electrodes?
It is only a electrode attached to pin 4? This cable I am using is a USB to micro-usb. So, I think it has no wire attached to the pin 4.

Yes, just 1 wire on pin 4, it uses the Muse headband center electrode as the ground reference.
Once you have it wired correctly, it’ll look like this in Muse Monitor.
I’ve lent my electrode to a friend, so this screenshot is from bare wire taped to my chest with masking tape! You’ll likely get a much cleaner signal with a proper electrode! :wink:

Excellent! Thank you once again.

Roger

Thank you so much.
ECG