Proven effectiveness of Muse's neurofeedback mechanism

I know the logic behind why Muse knows neurofeedback, they assert that if you allow yourself to realize more quickly when you are losing your focus, that you can get it back more quickly and have more productive meditations (and by extension, have a more productive meditation practice).

Has this ever been proven in a study before though? It seems a bit tough to just assert something without having the scientific proof to back it. For example, perhaps the neurofeedback mechanism distracts the user and disallows deeper states of meditation, or maybe an important part of the meditation is the ability to get your focus back without the aid of a third party mechanism, has anyone ever studied the effect and proven that the mechanism Muse uses to bring you back to your attention actually does in fact improve your meditation practice? Thanks.

Hi Anthony; Don’t know if that study has been done before. However, I’ve turned off the background so that all I hear is gentle waves (beach) and birds when I’m in a calm state. For me, the loud sound that’s telling me I’ve lost focus only intimidates me and takes longer to get back into focus. My opinion; experiment with it to find your own preferences as everyone is different. I plan to turn it up a little at some point, but only after I can consistently achieve I high percentage of calm.

Anybody at Muse care to answer this? I don’t use the app anymore because I find it too distracting esp. when the connection is lost. Do we definitively know that it’s better using than app than just doing normal mindfulness meditation?