Recommended Bluetooth USB Adapter for Windows PC?

My Windows PC running 64 Pro doesn’t have Bluetooth so I’ll need to purchase an USB adapter. Are there specific adapter recommendations that will ensure a successful pairing with Muse? I see from another post that there can be 'stack issues:

To connect to a muse we have to enumerate the bluetooth devices associated with your computer using the windows standard API. Some dongle manufacturers supply their own stack which does not enumerate through the win32 API. There is a problem (feature?) of windows only recognizing a single bluetooth radio per system too, which is also why dongles sometimes come with a stack.

Do you know if you installed a separate stack with the dongle? Did you add the device through “start” -> “devices and printers” -> “add device” or a custom tool/suite?

We’re going to look carefully at our windows API interface and see if we can resolve, or at least illuminate, some of these problems.

I ended up getting an Asus Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter from NCIX, got it on sale for $8.

It installed correctly 1st try, paired to Muse 1st try, and both Muse-IO and Muse-Lab are working well! :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing back! We have a bunch of bluetooth dongles at the office, mostly asus. It’s hard to know what hardware will work generally and it’s a bit of a moving target. We’d love to know what adapters people have trouble or success with. Any adapter qualified with windows should work. I don’t think packet size limits come into play, but it’s one thing that I could imagine might result in incompatibility. E.g. if our device is sending chunks too large for the adapter default settings. We’ll start to build up an incompatiblity list and try to figure out any bluetooth tricks that might help too.

Successfully connected and ran Muse-Lab with Cirago Bluetooth 4.0 Mini USB Adapter (Model Number: BTA8000) on Windows 8.1

Which USB adapter would you recommend for Linux? The one I have now will connect to the headband, and then disconnect almost immediately.

On most platforms (except iOS) Muse is acting as a slave device that does not connect to another device. It just sits idle, waiting for an incoming connection. So just run muse-io as explained on the developer site and you should see an active connection with lots of brain data streaming. Or just white noise if you still hold it in your hand at that time :wink:

Hi Karsten, how does the headband connect in iOS, can I connect the muse through bluetooth to an iPhone and a macbook simultaneously? That would be awesome.
Thanks,
N.

Hi NGT,

It’s not possible to get Muse to send data to multiple devices over Bluetooth. To share Muse data between multiple parallel devices or processes, you would have to relay data using something like OSC. So for instance, you could connect over Bluetooth with your iPhone using libmuse and then send the data it receives from the iPhone to your Macbook, or vice versa.