Recording Elements data on Muse Direct (iOS)

Hi,

Is it possible to record Muse Elements data on a .muse file in MuseDirect iOS app from Muse 2016?

Thanks!
Arturs

Yes! In Settings just change the recording format from .CSV to .MUSE :slight_smile:
If you’re using the .MUSE format, I would also recommend changing the recording frequency from it’s default of 1Hz to Constant, which for the 2016 Muse will be 256Hz.

Thank you very much for the quick reply!
Could you please advise, where these settings can be changed in the app? Currently I only see a very limited number of settings that can be adjusted.

Please accept my apologies, I misread your original message; my instructions were for Muse Monitor, not Muse Direct!

However, it appears that you already have everything checked in Muse Direct, so you should already have the data you’re looking for in there.

Hi,
Thank you for clarification!
With everything checked, I still get a very limited amount of data after uploading the file to MuseLab, way less than when streaming.
Do you have any idea, what I might be doing wrong?

I’m not sure sorry. That data set is very strange. As well as elements you’re also missing the gyroscope data and for some reason you’ve got 6 floats for EEG, even though with the 2016 Muse you should only get 5 (the four main sensors and the optional USB auxiliary right).

I’d try emailing Interaxon support, maybe there’s a bug in their app? You could try un-installing and re-installing to fully reset the app and see if that helps.

Alternatively, I can of-course recommend my app Muse Monitor :wink:

Thank you very much for the great help! I now use Muse Monitor and get the Elements data to MuseLab.

Hi. I’m a new developer to the forum! I purchased the muse six months ago and want to integrate it into my own application. Can I cast the .csv data live? Is there an open API for dev?

Thank,

Robert

Update: I found the Muse Monitor. Awesome stuff. Can I connect this data stream directly to my Linux machine without the mobile app? I can use an android simulator, but it will likely have latency.

You can stream OSC data over the network to your linux machine using Muse Monitor running on a mobile device.

The Linux tools only support the 2014 Muse, if you want to connect to the newer 2016 model on a desktop, you’d need to use Muse Direct with Windows. You could try running Muse Direct through the Wine PC emulator, but I very much doubt it’d work.

The official Android studio simulator doesn’t support bluetooth, but you could try using Muse Monitor in bluestacks? I don’t know if you can install play store apps on it, as it’s not a real device and Google often block them, but it might be worth a try. If it lets you pay for Muse Monitor, but you can’t get it working, email me and I’ll refund you.

As for other non-mobile options; there’s no Linux SDK, but there’s a Unity one, so maybe you could write something with that?

Enigma644,

Thanks for the helpful comment. :man_mechanic: I can use Windows 10. Also, my team is devving in Unity for a our visualization tool. I designed the Virtual Sleep Environment (www.virtualsleepenvironment.com) and I want to use Muse to help users comprehend what calm truly means before sleep onset. I would love to work together towards this goal. Would you be interested in collaborating on a live visual representation of brainwave activity in Unity?

I’ve not used unity, but you can email me if you want Support@MuseMonitor.com