Research feature support added to Muse firmware 7.8.0 on iOS

[TABLE=“border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0”]
[TR]
[TD] [TABLE=“align: left, border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0”]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=14px]Hey there Muse developers!

We're happy to announce that our just-released Muse firmware 7.8.0 now supports expanded "research" presets, which enable higher sampling rates, greater bit depth, extra channels, and more. These settings are available for anyone using MuseIO. Anyone with a Muse can now use the research presets at no extra cost!

[B]Just open the iOS app (latest version), start a session, and you'll be automatically prompted to update to the new firmware.[/B][/SIZE][/TD]
				[/TR]
			 			[/TABLE]
		[/TD]
	[/TR]
 [/TABLE]

[TR]
[TD] [TABLE=“border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0”]
[TR]
[TD] [TABLE=“border: 0, cellpadding: 18, cellspacing: 0”]
[TR]
[TD][B]Research presets enable useful features like: [/B]

• Set EEG sampling rate to 220Hz or 500Hz
  • Set EEG sample resolution to 10bit or 16bit
  • Turn EEG data compression on or off
  • Turn EEG notch filtering on or off
[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

For [B]more detail [/B]on each of the available presets, go here: http://bit.ly/1G3IiOz
[TR]
[TD] [TABLE=“border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0”]
[TR]
[TD] [TABLE=“border: 0, cellpadding: 18, cellspacing: 0”]
[TR]
[TD][B]NOTE: [/B] [LIST=1]

• The Android Muse app provides only firmware 7.6.2 for now. To update to 7.8.0 and use the research presets, you must use the iOS app.
  • Research presets currently work with MuseIO and MuseLab. LibMuse currently supports presets 10, 12, and 14. [/LIST] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [TABLE="border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0"] [TR] [TD] [TABLE="border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0"] [TR] [TD] [TABLE="border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0"] [TR] [TD] [TABLE="border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0"] [TR] [TD]For any questions you have or to share your project with the awesome Muse developer community, head on over to developer.choosemuse.com and forum.choosemuse.com. [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [TABLE="border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0"] [TR] [TD] [TABLE="border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0"] [TR] [TD] Thanks! -Tom and the Muse Dev Team (@musedevelopers)[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Is there any place I can find the 7.8.0 firmware as hex file to update via muse-io?

Hi Frederik,

Raw hex files of the firmware are not publicly available. The Muse app is the official tool for updating your firmware.

The --upgrade-hex option in muse-io requires a firmware image encrypted specifically for your device. We use the feature largely as an internal tool and occasionally to provide updates to specific parties, but it’s not a feasible public distribution channel right now.

Hm, good to know… I still think there is no excuse for this not being explained in the official documentation, but I guess I should have searched the forum more thoroughly.

Does the Muse still work with the Android app after upgrading the firmware?

Hi Tom, I am using Muse for research and developing reasons and would really like to use the research presets. However, when I try to set preset to AD or AE I get the following message: “Forcing preset “14” required for DSP input.”

If I use the command “–no dsp” and the set the preset it works. However, this means that the only thing that be observed and recorded in MuseLab is the raw EEG and the accelerator data. Not even the horseshoe indicator works anymore, making it impossible to know if your electrodes are connected well and your readings are correct.

This seems very odd to me. Is there no way to set research presets and still have access to the DSP inputs?

Sincerely,
    ​Robin