Share you experience

Hi

I an considering on buying muse but I would really like to know about real people’s experiences if that is possible as I think on this gadget as an investing on health rather than a toy I will forget next day…(which I cannot given the price…)

many thanks.

Hi rainmanh,

Thanks for your post.
I am in the exactly same situation as you. I’ve been following this forum since it began a few days ago wondering if I could get some feedback here, since there are so few materials about MUSE around the net.

I’ve watched and read perhaps all videos and articles about Muse on the net, and most of them (if not all of them) looks to me more like adds other than evaluations or benchmarks.
But the MUSE’s team approach seems very interesting to me, by letting to their customers the challenge of see it, test it, and most of all develop their own apps and uses by including its SDK, other than offering a ready made / one purpose use (lift that ball with your mind) game :slight_smile:

Even apparently young people (and, yes, some looks like hippies too), jokes apart, they seem to me to be very serious people, involved and committed to go far away in this fantastic and still very unknown part of the human body. Their approach is very unusual and very smart too – instead of selling you something that says: DO THIS with our device, they seems to be asking you: WHAT CAN WE DO with our device?

Really, you are right. It would be nice if the already owners of MUSE could share their first experiences.

I’ve asked myself: where are those people who already have it? Why don’t they say anything? Have them discovered the youth fountain and don’t want to tell anybody? :eek:
I have made my own estimates of more or about 2000 units being used all over the world (just the indiegogo campaign seems to have sold about 1500 of them, no?) Or, are they unhappy with their purchase – usually with today’s resources of videos on YouTube and the social communities on the net, these kind of miraculous facts appears in public almost instantaneously ?

Something about me: (nothing to hide, nothing to be ashamed of, nothing to claim for compassion or the so. I’m a normal human being, and like anybody else in this world have troubles with health too) : I’m a Brazilian (portuguese speaking) person, electronic engineer aged 63 (but still a child anxious for his next toy, as you can conclude if you are still here reading this long post), living in Sao Paulo, Brazil (by the way, we’ll be hosting the great Soccer World Cup here in Sao Paulo and in Rio de Janeiro next month :D.
Unfortunately I was chosen by God to be one of those millions of people who suffer from panic disease for the last 50 years (had four “big ones” since 1964, but just diagnosed as so in 2004) – and because of this health trouble (that usually takes you out of the world for a period of 6 to 18 months) and due to the medications, many of the cognitive functions of the brain are affected and I had to leave my last job in 2008, and since them I am by myself trying to survive – and I’ve done it with a lot of coping techniques that one can learn, like: relaxing, positive thinking, exercises, meditation, changing activities, etc. The main problem with these techniques is that you never know when (and if) they are working this time, it takes some time (and many times the consequence of applying them is increased anxiety that worsen the symptoms at first – like a snow ball).

The key points about MUSE for me are:

• first, as you said: yes, it is expensive as a toy, but I cannot give it a price if it prove to be possible to get some feedback from it that will help dealing with health problems. (like the other guy on another thread here, I do not look at it as a device that will cure my disease or tinnitus – tinnitus may be just one among many of the symptoms of panic. I have been experiencing tinnitus since my last panic attack in 2011 and had never experienced it before. But I do expect it to help with make me knowing that by applying my coping techniques is taking me in the right direction) – something like the level and correlation between the brain waves that with my MUSE’s training sessions I’ve learned do have positive effects – that will surely will reduce anxiety.

• will I be able to record and track the raw data of all those five brain bands (or even some of in-chip preprocessed data, if there are any) to a micro SD card for further analysis at a later time ? With my skills in electronics I’m pretty sure that I can built a microcontroller based device that will record all data in a given time (let’s say a full day or a full night of sleeping for example) – I can build a single Arduino (ATMEGA chip) based device with a Bluetooth capture, a micro SD card and a clock chip and a small battery that can save data for let’s say a full week (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). But as I have read, the Muse battery would need charging every 4 hours of use (and it cannot transmit data while charging – this is bad).

All of these stuff would fit in a very small box that I could carry in my shirt pocket with no inconvenience at all (so many people carry their MP3 music players with them all day, and still with a headphone wire going to their ears). If MUSE had a very small connector I could even give it power supply (no use of its own battery – 80 mA is indeed too much for a very small battery – it would be necessary a let’s say 3000 mAh battery for a full day with no charging), and why not, even its signals readings going through only two thin wires ?

• will it be comfortable ? I’m bald and used to wear a cap over my had during all winter season, so by using the Muse headband for a long period of time pressing my forehead does not seem will bother me. I wear glasses too during all day.

As you can see my main goal is not keep seeing those readings in real time, but saving them for further analysis, with the help and plotting resources of a tool like MATLAB for example.
What about the precision and reliability of Muse’s readings? Well … I believe that levels or intensity of the brain EEG signals could vary a lot depending on many situations out of our control: body and head movements, weather conditions, atmospheric conditions (more or less electrostatics charges on the air around you), and even skin conditions that affect conductivity (dry or wet skin). But it has also reference sensors, so my big question is: with math compensations formulas and transformations or the so, would we be able to establish or detect some patterns and based on these patterns would we be able to conclude something about behavior or emotional changes – and establish patterns on those also?

Well, I have already wrote much more than I’ve planned to, probably most of those who started reading my post haven’t even reached this point.
But I endorse you asking for feedback from present owners, and case I acquire my own I’ll surely be back with my opinions and findings.

Knowing that there are thousands of researchers and PHD’s all over the world working hard on this issue for so many decades, anyone trying to do things like me, with zero background experience in this field may seem to be a very ambitious and pretentious one. But all I want is to get to know a bit more about myself and perhaps find a way to learn how to control my brain and alleviate those terrible symptoms.

Congratulations and success to MUSE, their inventors, and the team as a whole.

Eduardo

P.S. English is not my native language, so please accept my apologies for my spelling mistakes or misunderstood phrases.

Hi Eduardo. I am french and my english is worse than yours lol. I would like to know if you received your muse and tried it? Can you share your feedback?

Thanks a lot.

I come from china ,poor english

I can not still connect to computer,so although I am [SIZE=18px]Enlightenment.I need more information about my brain wave…[/SIZE]

So You look disapointed by the weekness of informations?

Personally, I’m disappointed with muse for now. It only has one exercise (calm), and I’m not convinced at all by the results / efficiency. IE, I often hear birds (which are supposed to reflect a calm state), when my mind is totally wandering, thinking about something and not focusing at all. It’s actually funny because hearing the birds strikes me in my wandering and I feel like “hey I’m hearing birds, they are supposed to say I’m calm and focused…?Well at least it distracted me from my disctrated mind enough to see I wasn’t focused at all.” I think Muse should be oriented more towards showing how focused you are, or at least, I feel like Muse’s perception of calm might not be accurate.
Plus, the adds show you how you will be able to play games and other stuffs, but I can’t seem to find anything available related to that.
The fact that we have to calibrate every time is both annoying and suspicious, how are we supposed to see our progress if we re calibrate the toy differently every time ?
What would be great instead would be to just put the headband on, and see the state of our brain activity in a “free” way, not in a rigid session with calibrating. Would be able to quickly compare states after exercise, meditation, eating etc and really discover things. Here the calibration just makes it seem like comparing is vain.

For all these reasons, for now I regret that I bought it and was fooled into thinking it’d be so great when actually it is only barely interesting at the moment (I mean, off course I’m responsible for being an idiot dreamer, but still I’m not happy). I really hope that it will evolve a lot in the future, and make me be wrongly premature angry whiner.
Also for European buyers, I got a 72 euros customs agreement on top of the 299$ price plus delivery (68$). Additional fees that you might want to consider !

bye.

Being focused doesn’t me that you don’t think anything. If you are aware that you’re thinking something,that means that you are focused and mindfulled. That’s the principle of vipassana meditation. You can’t and mustn’t avoid to think, the difference between a puzzled mind and mindfullness is being or not aware of what is happening right now in you mind and in your body.

Hey Thomas, I can feel your pain! I still haven’t even managed to get the Muse to complete ONE single Calm session without it disconnecting via Bluetooth - and yes, after 3 weeks of express delivery (68$) + additional customs of 100€ (I live in insane Denmark)…

I was definitely dreaming too and hoping a lot out of this Muse but so far not so good…even muse support seems to be snailing away at a response (5 days and waiting so far, but feels like months!).

…so yeah, new buyers should start out with lower expectations - maybe they’ll get pleasantly surprised :slight_smile:

That’s the point bakerset, I WASN’T aware that I was thinking, just wandering mindlessly, which is why hearing birds seems like a missread from Muse…You say you can be focused while thinking, and I would agree, but then what is the point to trying to be calm ? You can be calm and rather unfocused am I right ? I was unfocused, my mind was wandering, and I heard birds…!

I don’t feel reassured when i read this…

ok but were You watching yourself wandering? That´s the good path in meditation. I don’t have any muse so it´s hard to answer. My advise is to use it only like a tool, meditation needs to do it without purpose. According to me, calm must not be an objective, natural state has it̀s own value.

I thought that I’d weigh in with a pretty positive response. Early adopters like us who purchase new technology may pay a price in terms of the limitations with the current ‘Calm’ program, but I think this can be addressed as new Calm versions arrive and other developers add to our options. I have found the odd connectivity issue and suspect some false readings if you are too close to other electrical equipment (the dishwasher seems to throw my readings into a high anxiety state if I am too close to it), but generally I have found that the more focussed I have felt through a session, the higher my score, so I have some faith in the overall data.

As someone who has tried several times to take up meditation with limited success, I have found after a few weeks of use that with or without the Muse, I am able to concentrate on my breathing throughout the session much better than I ever have in the past. General anxiety is also something that I sometimes struggle with, and have felt a generally lower anxiety in dealing with minor issues than before. Regardless, I am aware of the placebo effect and will suspend judgement until I see clear long term improvement, especially during those ‘trigger’ events. As an aside, the Muse does give me a visual reminder and scorekeeper in practicing regular mindfulness, and there is some value in that.

In all, I am excited to see what developments are in store for this device, and at this price point (less than the cost of upgrading my ipad or iphone), I am convinced that for me, the $300 entry fee was money well spent.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, gtawest. I too have been struggling with connectivity issues, but they are getting easier to manage. I appreciate your tip about other electrical interference. I’ll ty to eliminate external signals. I live on a boat and use LED lighting, which I know interferes with FM radio reception. So,maybe the Muse is picking up those.
I also , like the latest Muse-Calm app update. A step in the right direction. It shows that the developers are listening.
More will be revealed.

So, I’ve been using Muse almost daily for a little over a week now. What I am aware of is, my calm score (%) is going down. I now find myself wondering what is going on in my mind that is causing to wind to blow so hard. Could it be that I am asking myself this question while trying to figure out how to calm the wind???

i don’t have any muse. But you should see yourself thinking “how to calm the wind” then, when it’s done, come back to your breathing. I think the risk of using muse to meditate is that we [B]pursue[/B][B] a [/B][B]purpose[/B]. Just watch what’s happening whitout judgement. Are you an experimented meditator or a beginner? I think sometimes you should meditate with muse sometimes without.

I have just received my muse and tried it for a 3 minutes session. I was active for 13%, 37% neutral et 51% calm. It was interesting because i felt wandering during the two first minutes and that’s what told calm app, during the last minute i felt focused and i was really calm according the muse app. Got 4 birds. I will try later a 20 minutes session.

I tried a 20 minutes session : 69% calm. Than i changed difficulty to hard and i had 82% calm in a 12 minutes session et 86% in a 3 minutes. Isn’t it too easy?

My first few sessions were some of the “calmest” since getting Muse. I’ve had several not so calm sessions since. When I do back to back 20 minute sessions the second one is always a lot less calm, possibly due to having to recalibrate, restart, etc… I am curious as to what the level of difficulty changes in the program. Anyone?

Thx for your post timk. What´s your average score?

46.4% at 29 sessions