Some question about γ brain wave~

Dear Sir/Madam,
happynew year。
I am a meditation teacher and I need your help.
Based on online resources, I used to think that through long-term meditation, alpha wave will become the dominant brain wave, but my results from muselab are telling a different story that alpha wave does neither dominate in my daily life nor in my meditation process.
At the beginning stage of my meditation, the majority of my brain wave is comprised of theta wave and delta wave, which account for 50%. As the meditation process goes further, the delta wave begins to dominate while alpha wave constitutes only 10% of the whole (β 20% and γ 1%). At the moment when I wake up from meditation, gamma wave will take charge, reaching up to 50%.
During my daily life, gamma wave is dominating. I am energetic, not anxious and have well-control over my brain. I can even stabilize my brain wave and reduce the wave fluctuation with my eyes open, which can be seen from the images in muselab.
Therefore, as a meditation teacher, I’m wondering whether it is a normal situation to have gamma wave rather than alpha wave dominating my brain in daily life. Since Muse is an equipment that uses meditation to help people get a better mind, I think that you guys might be able to help me with your professional knowledge and rich experience.
Could you please answer my question or provide me with your research findings and test data to help me figure it out? Thank you very much.

Yours Sincerely,
Hui Fan

Hui Fan,

I was very interested to read your post, as I have similar questions as yours. I have been practicing Zen meditation for many years and I would like to understand what EEG changes correlate with my meditation practice and other activities throughout the day. My practice is to keep the eyes open while gazing at the floor and counting exhalations. I find that when my mind is quiet enough, the counting can go on uninterrupted for an hour or more. But when my mind is busy (its usual state), it is difficult to maintain the count even up to ten. I would like to explore this further, but I need some specialized tools.

Could you please tell me how you are obtaining your percentages for different frequency bands during meditation and in daily life? Are you using the Muse headband and the Muse Lab application? Are you recording your sessions and analyzing your data after the session? Or are you finding the percentages in real-time? Have you used Python or any other programming language to develop any programs to analyze the EEG signal?

I look forward to hearing more about your work. Thank you.

David Trowbridge

HI DAVIDTRO

I am just a mediation teacher ,but my english is very poor,so please wait for a day, I asked my student to transalted my means to english …

Hi David, Thank you for your reply and I’m really glad to hear from you. For me as a meditation teacher, the content of teaching meditation includes not only those practices like counting exhalations, but also many philosophic contents such as Laozi’s concept of Wu Wei, Buddhist concepts of Dukkha, Impermanence and not-self. Since I’m just a meditation teacher without software engineering background, I’m using the Muse Lab application to record my original EEG signals and analyze them in real-time (not using the Muse Calm Session). I think undoubtedly, the purpose of meditation practice is to reach enlightenment. I’m already enlightened and have successfully taught several students to reach enlightenment. I think maybe I have found the technique to achieve that, hence I want to use the Muse headband to figure out the differences in brain wave between us and ordinary people. According to my preliminary results, there are huge differences between the enlightened people’s brain wave and the ordinary’s, especially in the percentage of γ wave. In usual situations,γ wave accounts for almost half of the brain wave of the enlightened people, while it’s only 10% for the ordinary. Also, we have little α wave (around 7%) which is less than the ordinary. Actually, when you reach enlightenment, you will know it. It’s neither self-suggestion nor illusion. It’s the feeling that you are clear about it and understand it. Because I’m a teacher, more of my attention is focused on teaching instead of doing research, and these emails are translated with the help of my student. Meditation is more than counting exhalations, it embraces philosophy and “the truths”. The work I’ve done using the Muse headband is inspired and motivated by my interest in understanding why enlightenment can have such big and obvious impacts that revolutionize one’s thinking mode, cognition and understanding. Although my experiment was not rigorous, this is all what I can achieve as an independent teacher. Best Regards, Hui Fan

Hui Fan,

You have my deepest gratitude for your efforts to help people train their minds. With these latest technologies, we have some important new tools to help us understand how the mind works and how we can find true happiness. At the moment, my own focus is simply to discover if and how my personal experience correlates with any measurable brain activity. The sky’s the limit! See my status report for the first baby steps.

David