SURVEY; Accuracy of Data (or lack of it...)

Getting ready to return the Muse. Must gain confidence in the data, please help me gain that confidence.

• New user, experienced with meditation. Without Muse my previous experience is that I am able to get into a calm, meditative state. Thoughts do come in but that happens even with the most experienced practitioners. I calmly reflect on the thought, push it out a bit and move on. Much of my session is spent without any thought. I usually come out of a 20 minute session feeling quite refreshed.

• Based on my initial data and some comments I’ve read in the forum I’m losing confidence in the data. I’m thinking about returning the Muse.

• I started out at 36 calm. After uninstalling and re-installing the app because I thought I had (bluetooth problems, actually Muse simply has not updated there instructions on connecting. Anyway…now I will do a 20 minute session and feel good, relaxed and calm and I’m scoring 6-9% calm? Yes the increasing waves and wind aren’t calming but I am working on getting better. I try and relax even more and feel I’m successful in doing so.

• Could my mind feel consciously settled but un-consciously actually be very un-settled, I guess it’s possible but I’m a skeptic. I’ve done bio-feedback with a psychologist many years ago and loved it. I remember clearly that when I was relaxed the light would flat line. That doesn’t add up to my current experience.

• I read a forum entry by someone who used Muse during stressful activity and got high calm scores. I tried it while slightly stressed starting my day at my desk with news on in the background. I got relatively calm scores. Muse tells me the algorithms won’t correctly work using Muse like that. Again the skeptic in me says “hmm, not so sure that can make sense.” Other forum entries include people having racing thoughts and stress and getting high calm scores.

• Customer service tells me to ignore the instructions during calibration by not getting too relaxed. Keep thoughts in my head. Hmm stuff like that = loss of confidence. Tried not reclining, made sure I’m fully awake, made sure it’s properly fitted, etc etc.

• Customer Service tells me Muse works better for some people than for others. They admit it is not accurate for some people. I’m guessing, at this point, that’s me;(

Summary; before I continue devoting a lot of time and energy into Muse I must be more convinced of the accuracy of the data. It sounds like the product is in it’s infancy and is years away from being where it needs to be? I realize I have a bad attitude at this point, it’s mainly due to my disappointment and time devoted. But…I am very motivated to have a tool like this IF it is accurate. I’ll be the biggest fan.

Please use this thread to give your opinion of the accuracy

keywords
data, data output, data accuracy, accuracy

The scores are relative to your calibration. I think you missed that point.

“The scores are relative to your calibration. I think you missed that point.”

I have no clue what you mean. What I do know is I follow the instructions to conduct the calibration. Which is basically to chill out in a relaxed state. So whether or not my scores are relative to my calibration helps me not to get results that more accurately reflect my meditative state. And…I really wasn’t asdking for tips in this post. I asked for YOUR opinion about the reliability of the Muse results. I think you missed that point.

Hi Clifford949,

Calibration:
When you are going through the calibration, what is going through your mind? When thoughts come in, what are you doing with them?
Exercise:
During the exercise portion of the app, what are you doing to get into that meditative state? As in are you counting your breath or doing a body scan etc? Just trying to understand what’s going on during your session.

Hi Kim

I have been meditating for a couple of years now. Far from a Zen expert but I do relax enough to get refreshed from my sessions. To answer your question, during calibration I follow the instructions and relax. I concentrate on my breathe (I usually don’t do this when I meditate unless I’m more stressed out that usual) because the instructions tell me to. I relax and instead of trying to blank my mind I let it do what it wants (per instructions) but I am in a fairly relaxed state at this point.

During the actual session I do what I do when I meditate. Sometimes I’ll do breathe, sometimes a partial body scan but usually I most enjoy trying to do and think of absolutely nothing. While I can feel underlying stress (if having stress) but in my conscious I can stay mostly in a “blank, clear” state. Gently pushing thoughts out.

I know I am stressed inside so maybe Muse is catching it. But as I mentioned in my post I recall from many years ago having stress (and depression) deep inside but achieving a very relaxed state as demonstrated by the flat line of lights. With Muse I am unable to get to that point.

So…I hope that helps you help me but…all my post was really requesting was different users opinion on the data reliability. And you didn’t even offer yours;)

Thanks!

So far my survey is a flop. I thought it would be valuable for all of us. I only got two responses and neither of them gave their opinion about the accuracy of the results. I realize the results will be dependent on proper use but that could be debated forever. So for this survey “assume the instructions are followed properly.”

Thanks!

I am not sure of how i feel about accuracy of results. I have gone from averaging about 70% to about 10% in a week. I didn’t think i was more stressed, had more racing thoughts, etc. if the results don’t lie, it might be better for me to give up.

It’s essentially a non-trivial problem to determine what a user’s baseline mind state is. If you’re not at your baseline during calibration, then the algorithm to determine calm vs stress will be inaccurate. That’s why you’ll get calm scores much more easily if you begin a session in a stressful state.

Stressed out baseline = easier to reach a calmer state during session, harder to reach an active-mind state.

If you start your session already in a calm state (which can be very easy for an experienced practitioner to get into; just getting into position and closing their eyes can be enough to put them straight back into their meditative state), then it’ll be very difficult to get calm scores.

Very calm baseline = harder to reach a calmer state during session, easier to reach an active-mind state.

I recommend just experimenting with how you calibrate.