Understanding Data from Muse Monitor CSV

musemonitor
csv

Hi,

I’m doing a college project at the moment based on a trivial pursuit game where I monitor a persons EEG data using the muse monitor to record a game of trivial pursuit.

I combine the questions asked and the players memorability of these questions corresponding to the EEG data.

My dataset has the Alpha_TP810,TP9 etc for all brain waves as well as the RAW_TP9 etc values corresponding to it.

Can anybody please clarity on what exactly those values are?
I would like to calculate the absolute band powers as well as the relative band powers but I get confused by the language in the http://developer.choosemuse.com/tools/available-data .

Are the Alpha_AF7 for example, an absolute band power for Alpha TP9. So if I wanted to get an absolute Alpha band power, could I sum Alpha_TP9, Alpha_TP10, Alpha_AF8 and Alpha_AF7? I’ve been summing those values and then getting the average and using that as the Alpha_Absolute value.

For relative band powers, I’ve used the (10^Alpha_Absolute (from above) / (10^Alpha_Absolute + 10^Beta_absolute etc).
Is this correct or what is the correct formula for doing so?

I want to get the Alpha_Absolute and relative band powers for each brain wave as you would with the SDK.

I’m trying to determine concentration levels based on the frequencies of the individual brain waves for my project, could you recommend a suitable calculation for this?

Thanks
Laura

I’m in a similar situation as laura and am curious to see the answer.

Alpha_TP9 is Alpha Absolute for the TP9 left ear sensor; Alpha_AF7 is the front left AF7 sensor etc. Details of this can be found on http://MuseMonitor.com by clicking on the Technical Manual, or in the in app help.

You are correct that you can sum and divide by four to get an overall average, and your Alpha Relative calculation is also correct :slight_smile:

Mellow and Concentration were discontinued from the official Interaxon SDK on April 12th, 2016. The official reason told to me being that they thought the algorithms were inaccurate.

After studying the “My Virtual Dream” paper which Interaxon referenced, I spent a few weeks creating my own version of the mellow and concentration algorithms. However, I’m not 100% happy with the outcome and I think I understand why Interaxon withdrew their versions. If you would like to try them out, they are hidden in Muse Monitor. To enable them, go to Muse Monitor’s settings screen and at the bottom, tap on the version number 10 times.

Once enabled you will find an entry on them in the in app help, explaining a little more about how they work and they will also output in to the CSV data.