Using Muse for Performance, using and understanding the data

I’m a former professional athlete and now a full time coach and a practicing hypnotherapist. I have been practicing meditation for almost 5 years (on average 10 - 30mins a day) and have sat on silent retreats. I have just purchased the Muse 2

Rather than only using the application for Meditation only I would like to be able to use the Muse to easily track my brain waves (Gamma, Beta, Alpha, Theta, Delta) and be able to simply record them in real time whatever activity Im doing, whether it’s meditating, exercise, reading, self-hypnosis, eating, studying, sex, taking psychedelics, hitting the punchbag, whatever.

Is there an application that does this? Basically where I can label the activity and perform a task for a set period of time, record it then have a graph of my brain waves during that time?

I downloaded Mind Monitor App which looked great, I’m sure it is if you know how to use it although I’m not tech savvy and didn’t really understand what was going on.

Is there an easy to use application available where I can perform an activity and simply record the data and I can monitor over time?

Maybe someone could create a youtube video to help explain the data charts, how to read and understand the information and feedback from the data given?

Is there a recommended website or training to better understand bio-neuro feedback so that I can use it to train myself and my clients.

Thanks in advance

P.S

Are there any basic guides on how to best understand use the mind monitor app (or any other EEG application compatible with Muse 2) for people like me who are not great with technology? I am using both a Mac and Android neither of which are compatible with Muse Direct

2 Likes

I’d be keen to access this too, as I use hypnotherapy to assist people with flow states.

1 Like

As you use Muse and Mind monitor, you can further pass the data to Excel. Figure shows my data output edited as an image. It took more than an hour to make one because it was a manual operation.
Museの出力をMind monitorに出力すると、さらにExcelへデータを渡せます。図は、私がこれらのデータ出力を画像として編集したものです。手作業なので1枚作るのに1時間以上かかりました。

In other figures, when the output of Muse is output to Mind monitor, the data is further passed to Excel, which is edited by Matlab. In this case, images could be obtained almost automatically in 10 minutes.
ほかの図はMuseの出力をMind monitorに出力すると、さらにExcelへデータを渡し、それをMatlabで自動編集したものです。これだと、10分あれば自動的に画像を得ることができました。

There are other people who are developing the drawing tools themselves.
I think you can get a lot of information by participating in “The Muse Community” on Facebook.
ほかにも作画ツールを自分で開発している人たちがいるようです。
Facebookの「The Muse Community」に参加すると多くの情報が得られると思います。

1 Like

Yes MindMonitor is what you want.

not tech savvy and didn’t really understand what was going on.

EEG reading is a technical skill people go to school for. The dirty little secret is besides putting the bands of frequency into the alpha, beta, etc, there aren’t many hard and fast rules that apply across the board for everyone. Everyone’s EEG can look quite different doing the same things, meditation, etc. Everyone’s ERP look very different as well, which is what it looks like you want to study. All they (people who sell the muse and other devices) do is pass the buck, and tell you to go read some EEG medical books. I actually did that and they were mostly unhelpful, unless I wanted to be able to look at an EEG and diagnose people that had a left-side/right-side stroke, brain injury, etc. Which I can now do, which is 100% useless to me. But anyways.

meditating, exercise, reading, self-hypnosis, eating, studying, sex, taking psychedelics, hitting the punchbag, whatever.

The MUSE and MindMonitor app is not going to be suited to doing any of that outside of non-movement, eye-closed meditation. If you haven’t figured it out yet, eye-movement will give false positives for Delta band, and any movement will disrupt the contact with the sensors.

You can use Matlab ($$$$$$) and program some algorithms to remove eye movement, but you’re still not going to get rid of the other limitations muse has.

Muse is great, it just has a very limited range and scope of function. Stay in that range, and you can do lots of stuff, lots of very good research. Go outside of that range and you are going to need a LOT more time, money and hardware. You may want to partner with a university or something, and look into OpenBCI.

I don’t think anything you are doing, hasn’t been done before and you might want to dive into pubmed and other Neuro Journals to see what other labs have done. I’m not sure you even know what you want to do, and how it related to EEG.

1 Like

You can also process the data in real time and provide immediate feedback on states. The hard part about EEG is interpreting the data, not collecting it. I used it for a performance art project to control a synthesizer running on a MacBook. I have the original Muse…the current one may not be able to communicate with a Mac.

1 Like

Thanks for this detailed reply, I have a much better picture now.

Hi Tom, I’m working on a similar project, so would love to hear more about how you got this to work?

I used the Muse (version 1) with a Macbook Pro. I did 2 pieces. I used the Pure Data (PD) language to describe a “patch” for controlling different sounds so as my brain activity increased, the sounds would change and get louder. There is software in the old SDK that would grab the data from the muse and feed it into PD in the OSC format. The patch would strip away the data it wanted to use and generate MIDI data from that. To generate the sounds, I used software called Simple Synth (free). The SimpleSynth software is very robust.

The second piece I did was watched a video with the sound turned off and let my brain waves generate the soundtrack". Here is the proof of concept video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lL8ofyVHZA

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Tom