Using Muse to Measure Sexual Responsiveness

Hi Muse community!

I am interested in using the Muse device for research on tantric meditation as a treatment for enhancing the sexual responsiveness female survivors of sexual assault in adulthood (likely narrowing in on the propensity to reach orgasm). Can anyone speak to how I may be able to use the muse device for this topic?

Thank you,
SG.

Hi SG,

For this technique I highly recommend the EmWave in combination with the Muse for experimental results.

In survivors of trauma the sympathetic(SCN) and parasympathetic nervous (PSN) systems, the PSN is not working optimally, because of the SCN repressing the PSN.
This repression is stabilised by the way the heart pumps. The change of rate in time between heart beats can be used to measure the HRV. There are different techniques to represent this variability(std, absolutes, insert). When the PSN is de-supressed the sexual responsiveness will increase.

I’m using the Muse 2 and created an adafruit bluetooth pulse meter for my research. I hypothesise that varying HRV varies with alpha, beta, delta and theta bands when participants do some attention and stressful tasks before and after doing the EmWave protocol.

Hi NVDL,

Thank you so much for your feedback! My impression was that the Muse 2 measured heart rate, is the reason you recommend EmWave for enhanced measurement sensitivity?

I worry that HRV may be a confusing measure to focus on as PTSD responses can be both hyperaroused or hypoaroused. There may be dissociative influences, interpersonal blocks, sensate interferences, ect. I want to stay focused on how much the participant stays focused on their sexual responses, with the optimal balanced arousal and calm needed to achieve satiation.

I’ve read that orgasm should be at about 7.8 cycles per minute, which is on the threshold between a high Theta and low Alpha state. I’d likely have to individualize this for participants with a self calibrating protocol I’m not sure what else I should be considering (other than whether I’ll get something like this passed with ethics :stuck_out_tongue: ) .

All the best with your exciting research, thank you again for your supportive reply!

Hi,

The muse measures the PPG indeed, however, the sensor isn’t accurate enough for science purposes, as you reasoned yourself indeed.

The hypo/hyperarousal is the outcome of that same trade off in that system under different person-specific conditions. In my own sense, _to enter the stage of reproductive sexual responses, one must have a body in which the processes inside are synchronised. The sexual state is a state in which a person’s consciousness is tending to unify all kinds of thoughts rising from sensations (mind&body tend to unify). During trauma mind and body dissociate, so imo, training unification of biophysical rebalancing and accommodating thoughts can re-associate a traumatised person with one self.

Haha, yeah, good luck getting that through an ethics committee xD If you do somehow find an ethical way, please consider having at least three control groups. A baseline of persons w/o trauma, baseline of persons w/ trauma, and a group of persons w/ trauma that imagine orgasms. That way you can compare normal vs trauma, create baseline difference, and then start comparing the brainwaves of traumatised persons full-body genuine orgasmic states with traumatised persons with imagined orgasms and filter out frequencies for sexual responsiveness. As a bonus you can infer to what extent sexual responsiveness is calibrated from the brain, the body or both in your groups. It’s a good start for shaping a form of therapy for sexual responsiveness.

You can also message me as I am working in the same field and we can exchange info!

Most welcome.

N.