What are the best practice to train brainwaves?

Hello, I know there are a lots of methods/practice to train different kind of brainwaves.
For example,
if I want to train gamma brainwaves with eyes open, what activities/routines should I do?
How about beta, alpha, theta, and delta?

From what I know, meditation practice have significant impact of brainwaves for long term practice. But different kinds of meditations might result in different brainwaves.

Online resources/books are always welcome.

Thanks you.

Hello Abelchun, did you find any answers for your question? I am too interested in the promotion of certain waves. I was thinking that it should already be a simple computer game that takes the data from each wave and uses it to provide you with feedback, something like cars with different colors that move forward when certain wave go high… If you know some computing it should not be difficult, I think (I have no clue).
Have you hear of something similar?

Thanks.

I just recently received my Muse, and hope to do a little bit of research on the effects that vipassana & samatha meditation has on the mind. This paper[0] has a decent, but lacking, outline on what brainwave frequencies are most/least prominent during various types of meditation.

The typical focused-attention meditation should show an increase in Alpha waves[1]. Mind wandering/daydreaming correlates with lower alpha/beta and higher theta/delta.

Long-time practitioners “self-induce sustained electroencephalographic high-amplitude gamma-band oscillations and phase-synchrony during meditation”, and in general have higher Gamma at rest.[2]

Another random note: You’ll need to meditate for much longer than 5 minutes, or whatever the default is for the Muse, for there to be a noticeable cognitional change. My meditation instructor suggested at least 25 minutes per session for beginners, and ideally 45 minutes. But I don’t have any sources to back up that claim.

[0] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4684838/
[1] Removed, as new users can only post two links and this was the least informative
[2] http://www.pnas.org/content/101/46/16369

Hi abelchun,

Try the MuseMonitor app. It is available for iOS, not sure about Android. MuseMonitor shows real-time graphics of alpha, beta, gamma, delta and theta waves. There is no audio. But I have meditated while viewing the MuseMonitor graphics. I keep my eyes slightly open, just enough to see the lines for the different brain waves, which are in different colors. I place the iPhone on one of my thighs near the knee. It would be a simple matter to attach the iPhone to a tripod positioned comfortably in front of my face.

So far, I have been able to easily increase amplitude of the alpha waves, according to the graphics. After a few minutes of focusing on my breath and calming my mind and body, the alpha will increase, moving toward the top of the graph, and the other waves will decrease, clustering together toward the bottom. The separation between alpha and the other waves is even more enhanced as I begin to see nimitta, light artifacts indicative of access concentration.

I’ve also tried meditating with Muse and the MuseMonitor while listening to Indian Classical Music, ragas. There is the increase in alpha, but the other waves do not decrease and cluster toward the bottom of the graph as much as in meditating without the music. Also, interestingly, the moment-to-moment increase/fall in alpha seems to track pretty well with the ragas, rising and falling with the music!

You’ll need to meditate for much longer than 5 minutes for a noticeable cognitional change in what? Alpha waves? Gamma waves? I can see the alpha waves increase after only a few minutes - sometimes less - of meditating. I’m not a beginner, but I’m not a long-time every-day practitioner either. I have moderate experience.

Cognitive changes; your attitude and personality will undergo vast changes as you train your brain with techniques such as single-pointed focus and open monitoring. Spending only 5 minutes per session won’t do much good.

It sounds like this would also correlate with changes in your brainwaves, but I can’t back that up, besides the study I posted on life-long practitioners and their gamma wave levels.

Hi @Sarkikos, thanks for sharing your interesting example!

I haven’t used in several years, just getting back into it now. But when I first tried it 3 years ago, it seems like when I practice Indian tabla drums, my Delta brain waves increase, while Beta & Gamma decrease.

FWIW,
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153868124489767
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153868124474767