Will the SDK support Muse 2 and all its new sensors?

@johnty Re: Muse Monitor, you are 100% correct. :slight_smile: Note that currently the Muse 2 PPG sensor data is not available, but everything else is! The Muse Monitor FAQ Page has the OSC and CSV specs for available data. As soon as the SDK is updated by IX, I’ll add in PPG data.

@Enigma644, after trying out the subscription based version for a week, I’ve decided to purchase your app. Only had a brief run with it but so far have to say it’s very slick and well done!

You’re not by any chance working on desktop (either W10 or OSX) version? Not a huge deal since I can always use a phone as an intermediary for now…

Thanks again!

@johnty Sorry no desktop version coming. Bluetooth on Windows and OSX is pretty terrible. I went through five different Bluetooth adaptors before I could find one that worked with the 2016 Muse and I still haven’t found one that works well with the 2018 Muse-2.

Interesting! I have some experience with BLE MIDI (built some microcontroller-based interfaces on the nRF51822 and ESP32), and did notice that OSX for example enforces a pretty long connection interval (11.25ms), despite the fact the MIDI spec should allow for as low as 7.5ms for better latency characteristics. Do you think something similar happening for the Muse - for whatever reason, the BLE radio/stack combination on these desktop platforms is not able to operate at high enough rates?

Even with 7.5ms (the minimum possible value for BLE, IIRC), it means that given a sample rate of 256 Hz would imply multiple samples would have to be packed together for each connection interval. Not ideal for “real” realtime data, but at the same time the raw sampled EEG data is likely not that interesting and the processed wave signals which need to go through quite a bit of frequency domain processing don’t really need such high sampling rates anyway… I suppose you could have a frame skip of 1 sample for each FFT, but the processing requirements would be immense and most likely not necessary for the signals of interest.

This is making me curious about how the headset transmits BLE data: does it throw everything out all the time when active, or is it dependent on the driver app asking for certain signals? Briefly looking at the BLE profile (via PunchThrough’s tool on iOS), I see a single writable characteristic and a lot of notify ones. So my guess is that you write certain commands to it which then selectively activates other characteristics as needed… but of course I don’t need to try muck around here since we already have a great tool (Muse Monitor) that does all this… so this is more of an academic exercise :slight_smile:

Sorry, getting a bit off topic :stuck_out_tongue:

If you’re interested in the BLE protocol check out Alexandre barachant’s work.

Regarding Win/OSX, I think it’s a hardware issue. I’m guessing Bluetooth just isn’t something that is used much in that environment, so the support isn’t there… where as on mobile it’s essential, so it’s more developed.

That said, I’ve found a few mobile devices which can’t handle the Muse bandwidth and chuck out NaN data errors. Namely the LG G6, Samsung Galaxy Tab A and Hauwei P10/P20.

@Graeme FYI 64Bit libraries are only included for Windows with libmuse 6.0.3.

Android only includes a 32bit library, which is in the libs/armeabi-v7a folder. A 64 bit library would show up in a libs/arm64-v8a folder, but this isn’t included with libmuse 6.0.3.