Wish List - App (Android, iOS, Win)

What functionality would you like to have added (changed or improved) to your Muse application? Let’s discuss both Android and iOS versions. My suggestions in the next post.

Here is a related “Hardware Wish List” if you have any ideas:

My list:

1. Sharing a session (Android). Generally unifying Android and iOS versions would be great.
  2. Visual feedback during a session (for meditating with open eyes).
  3. Ability to listen to additional sound source (for guided meditations).
  4. Save unfinished session (i.e. after app crash during meditation or accidentally not hitting save after meditation).
  5. New levels (as promised over a year ago!)
  6. Good statistics and overview from all the sessions to see progress made.
  7. …?

Hi Raf, I would also love visual feedback, as well as the ability to export my data.

If you have a chance would you mind peeking at this post I made awhile ago: NullReferenceException in Unity SampleApp

I am running into a wall getting my muse hooked up to Unity. Thanks!

More mood inspired background sounds. Even slightly edgy sounds or environments to challenge ones ability to remain centered.

1、Increase the time of each exercise, do not set 3 houes limit, 3 hours is too short, it will take longer.
2.set three levels (Active,neutral,clame)of demarcation points manually, Because my state is always in clame, i can’t do more efficient analysis.
3.Low battery alarm will not interrupt the training process.

Android and iOS is fine, but it is about time we saw some serious love for Muse and saw the release of a professional quality desktop app. I’d like to be able to measure my brainwaves, set targets, have audible alarms when thresholds are crossed.

And all the iOS/Android stuff should be syncing with the cloud so that you could get a detailed analysis of sessions on your laptop or desktop.

I’d also like to see much more community as there seems to be none at the moment, which seems odd when apps like Insight Timer are bringing everyone together and gamifying meditation.

Come on Muse. This could be exciting stuff, but it seems to me like it is becoming forgotten about.

1. add share button in android
  2. add ability to make notes for session
  3. add syncronization with Google Fit, Apple Health, other platforms
  4. add more charts for analyzing stats
  5. add new levels
  6. add social functions such as friends list to see friends experience and encourage each other

I would just like to echo the requests so far listed, and add that the ability to have more comprehensive way to view session data and chart overall progress, along with ability to keep any session notes on hand would be of great help. The ability to zoom into the EEG graph, as well as scroll left and right through the chart that displays the amount of calm and meditation time through each day would be wonderful too.
Thanks a lot!

My list is :

1. Visual Feedback.
    Actually, in the first version of the muse application when it was called “Calm App”, there was a “beach animation” that responds to your mind wandering. I found that very useful and it was the main reason I bought the Muse headband. However, it was removed in later versions to my disappointment. The current audio feedback is a bit “confusing” for me and I found that when I close my eyes and focus on my breath , the audio feedback will give me some random feedback that doesn’t really respond to my state of mind and doesn’t help me improve my meditation. I tried several ways to calibrate the app but they didn’t really work. As I mentioned, this wasn’t the case during the first version of the App. I remember watching Ariel’s conferences (muse founder) and it was exciting all the focus games that she was showing and I thought that this was the future of the device but we ended up with only an audio feedback. I understand that for many, the audio feedback is great but I am just telling my personal experience.
  2. I add my voice to Yorkieman, I think a desktop application will be great specially if it has more customisations.

1. Option to have no soundscape.
  2. Ability to export session data.

In fact, I’m writing a simple app that sets a timer and saves all of the Muse data, since I don’t care too much for feedback on how my session is doing.

I have exactly scenario #2. It would be nice either to setup a custom threshold, or to have more discretion.

The MuseMonitor app for iOS shows various real-time graphics of brain waves while you are using the headband. It indicates alpha, beta, theta, delta and gamma brain waves. The problem is that it does not give any audio feedback! You need to keep your eyes at least a little open to see what the graphics are doing.

An ideal app would show real-time brain wave graphics as well as give audio feedback for each type of wave. You would be able to turn off/on any wave in the settings. Tone - or maybe timbre? - would indicate wave type. Volume of each wave would indicate amplitude.

It would also be good to be able to switch between raw brain-wave graphics and a more user-friendly graphic indicating levels such as deep-calm, calm, sleepy, neutral, in-the-flow, active, etc.

Personally I’d rather have graphics based on brain-waves, with maybe some advice on what the different waves mean for state of consciousness, as well as what specific combinations of waves would indicate. Calm, Neutral and Active is just not enough feedback for me. I want to know what’s going on at a deeper level of understanding of brain function.

I have also that problem… i try to meditate during calibration state… so that will lower the neutral state baseline and it will be more difficult to go in calm state

!

got this two sessions but in first i was trying to be neutral during calibration… and at second i was trying to meditate during calibration…

looks like that calm point doesnt contain any usefull information! because i can easy go to 90% or 50%.

we need to have absolute values of brain activity. please add absolute values to scale.
thanks

Giving up meditation after Muse

Would it help if the app had the ability to have an extended calibration mode - where we can wear the headband while doing regular chores/work - that we can save to use for our Muse sessions?

And we could use that as a baseline for awhile and after (if) we notice improvement outside of meditation (stress levels, etc.) then we can recalibrate again.

(I’m not a scientist or a dr.)

My most wanted features:

• Data export
  • Ability to add notes about a session
  • Web console for viewing and downloading my history, deeper exploration of graphs, visualization of discrete channels, etc
  • Night mode, or at least change the session finished screen so it’s not so bright–in a dark room, that screen really blasts me in the face sometimes, even with eyes closed. Makes for an unpleasant end to the calm state. I know I could turn the phone over, but it’s nice to have it screen up at the beginning of calibration mode, just so you can glance and make sure all the sensors are getting a proper signal.
  • Analytics across sessions, e.g. comparing morning calmness with evening, trends over time, etc.
  • Some sort of pre-calibration screen that would just provide feedback as to whether the band is properly placed and getting good signals. I usually start with Muse Monitor, just so I can easily see that I’m getting a good signal and to check battery life, and then I quit and open the Muse app.

Would be amazing to get some cool integrations going with apps like:

Daylio - Mood / Activity monitor (really cool app that has trend data)
Fitbit - Because ya’ know, all the health

Some great features that would be cool (that I don’t see listed already)

Guided Meditations - These are guided practice with instruction for the entirety of the meditation. There are a lot of people in the forum that are having a difficult time with the feedback options, and might benefit from more of a guided practice, until they can learn the basics of breath, mindfulness, awareness and “letting go”.

Binaural Beats - Would be cool to do a session while using/partnering with these guys: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brainwave-35-binaural-series/id307219387?mt=8 to see improvement (or not) in mental state.

Brain Games - Thinking “games” to play and measure activity / stress on brain. With that data, then triggers flow of games to strengthen brain? Is this crazy?

Best (Personal) Practices - AI that learns the user feedback loop and which sounds/etc are responded to by user to get to calm state. AI to solve all the meditation problems.

Haven’t tried the binaural app you mentioned, but this one works fine in the background while using the Muse app:

The ability to record your own guide script. I would like to include some auto suggestions like you do in a hypnotic state. I see lots of similarity to using “meditation” and “self hypnosis”.
Correct me of I am wrong about the correlation between meditation and self hypnosis.